You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with curves adjustment histogram master

My dad just downloaded the newest version of Photo for Windows. When he tries to add a curves adjustment, the histogram is greyed out and doesn't match the curves in the main histogram panel. Individual color channels show the correct graph (albeit greyed out), but when he chooses the master channel, the graph is wrong. This happens on all new documents. I've attached a screenshot of the curves adjustment panel next to the histogram panel to show the difference.

Screenshot (1).png

Welcome to the forums @yardenasky,

1. If you're referring to the Curve's Adjustment Histogram being grey, that's a bug on Windows, that Serif hasn't corrected yet. The main histogram used to be grey also, but they managed to get that one fixed.

2. The Curves Adjustment Histogram in your screenshot is most likely correct. Looking at the layers panel, it reflects a curve adjustment being applied to another curves adjustment layer. Nothing wrong with doing that, just understand that the histogram will display the adjustments applied using the previous (layer below), then will update with adjustments applied using it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

23 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Welcome to the forums @yardenasky,

1. If you're referring to the Curve's Adjustment Histogram being grey, that's a bug on Windows, that Serif hasn't corrected yet. The main histogram used to be grey also, but they managed to get that one fixed.

2. The Curves Adjustment Histogram in your screenshot is most likely correct. Looking at the layers panel, it reflects a curve adjustment being applied to another curves adjustment layer. Nothing wrong with doing that, just understand that the histogram will display the adjustments applied using the previous (layer below), then will update with adjustments applied using it.

Well at least I can tell my dad that the grey bit isn't an issue. As for the two curves adjustments, I just had him pull up a second one to illustrate the point. The same thing happens even on a brand new image with no other adjustments. It's like the curves graph only shows part of the full histogram.

Just now, yardenasky said:

That's what it looks like. Is this a bug? It only happens on my dad's PC. I've never had this issue on my Mac.

Bug confirmed above by Ron P. Doesn't happen on my Mac either. I was just saying what I thought the grey area looked like in the posted screenshot.

23 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Bug confirmed above by Ron P. Doesn't happen on my Mac either. I was just saying what I thought the grey area looked like in the posted screenshot.

He mentioned that the histogram being grey was a bug. I wasn't sure if that was the same issue causing the curves master to look averaged.

Sorry, I don't know the details of Ron P.'s bug.

By the way, when you see the regions of overlaps in an RGB histogram, that doesn't represent any kind of averaging. A common misconception in the Affinity forums has been that it represents luminosity. No, it's just where the three graphs of the R, G and B channels overlap as if each graph were a semi-transparent layer in a stack so upper layers don't completely obscure lower ones.

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

By the way, when you see the regions of overlaps in an RGB histogram, that doesn't represent any kind of averaging. A common misconception in the Affinity forums has been that it represents luminosity. No, it's just where the three graphs of the R, G and B channels overlap as if each graph were a semi-transparent layer in a stack so upper layers don't completely obscure lower ones.

Ahhh got it. Thanks for the info!

I'm glad this issue was identified as a bug on the Windows platform, I've been wasting my time looking for a Affinity Photo preference setting to tweak to correct this display on my PC, assuming that was my issue. 

I hope that this will get worked and corrected at some point, hopefully someone with Serif can verify that this bug is on a list of items to fix. 

Thanks. - JJ

On 5/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, anon2 said:

It's the Curve's Adjustment Layer Histogram not being in color like the main Histogram.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...