You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Errka,

7 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

perhaps Affinity Designer isn’t the right tool for you just now...

and

So, perhaps you should stick with Illustrator/Corel Draw instead (at least until we reach 2.0 of Affinity Designer)...

Stop replying to our customers in this manner, it is never helpful.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, if he said it took several hours to achieve a task that takes minutes in Corel Draw or Illustrator, can’t I say then he got the wrong tool just now?

Affinity Designer is an lovely vector app, but, if it can’t do the job for him just now, what’s the problem then to urge him use something else?

Last week you argue with me why I critizied mr Jowday and his repeatedly vining on Affinity Designer (for lack of features), even then it was me that was the bad guy here...Hmmm... I don’t understand the rules here...?

You aren’t aware of the complexity of the task... questioning someone else’s professionalism from a place of ignorance says more about you my friend... as does your condescending remark after I apologized. Maybe the rules are don’t fight doochebagery with doochebagery. 

I can’t see that I’ve insulted anybody here just to pointing out that this topic (vector-warp etc) has been populating this forum for many years now...

And, you said that it took you hours to achieve an specific task in AD because the lack of more advance vector transformation tools - I can’t understand your sentence there you say that I questioned your professionalism? Hmmm... Don’t get it...

Never mind.... peace

• Staff
31 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I can’t see that I’ve insulted anybody here ....

... Don’t get it...

I think this is the problem here. Not seeing why your words and tone might be encouraging arguments, even if it does come from a well meaning place.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 hours ago, Mark Freeman said:

As much as his last comment riled me, since you’re here Patrick... apologies for being a dick posting a new thread on well worn topic

No worries @Mark Freeman. It clarifies what you expect from the product - as a customer - far more than silence. Even though there is of course (as a rule of thumb) good and bad practice in a forum you don't see the Serif staff policing their forum actively. Only when the red line is crossed. There is no need to alienate their own customers and I know for a fact that they do value feedback from their customers. Also frustrated feedback. Returning and satisfied customers is not a right - it is a privilege. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

19 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

if you really are a Pro concering vector job, perhaps Affinity Designer isn’t the right tool for you just now...

For me and a ton of other "PRO's" Affinity apps are the right tool for the job, but I get where Mark is coming from with this post, I've been in the similar situations where I'm in the zone, where I don't have to think about the app or the toolset available (thanks to studiolink), just get absorbed in the job, but there's often a point when just a little perspective nudge here and there would sort a job, which means exiting "the zone" and perform a work-around to achieve the desired result, or just so I don't have to fire up Ai CS5, i'll not bother with the little warps and tweaks which niggles the hell out of me - I'm guessing this post was a simple act of frustration - Yes there are loads of other posts on this topic but when theres no moderator involvement, It somehow feels like it's all falling on deaf ears, but the appearance of Patrick Connor on this post is a very positive thing -  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

No worries @Mark Freeman. It clarifies what you expect from the product - as a customer - far more than silence. Even though there is of course (as a rule of thumb) good and bad practice in a forum you don't see the Serif staff policing their forum actively. Only when the red line is crossed. There is no need to alienate their own customers and I know for a fact that they do value feedback from their customers. Also frustrated feedback. Returning and satisfied customers is not a right - it is a privilege. 

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Overall I am fully enamored with designer... and very, very happy, but there are issues, and some options are lacking.. when they do become apparent, I just have to think of what it does for the price, and also because f*** Adobe. Cheers Jowday

9 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

For me and a ton of other "PRO's" Affinity apps are the right tool for the job, but I get where Mark is coming from with this post, I've been in the similar situations where I'm in the zone, where I don't have to think about the app or the toolset available (thanks to studiolink), just get absorbed in the job, but there's often a point when just a little perspective nudge here and there would sort a job, which means exiting "the zone" and perform a work-around to achieve the desired result, or just so I don't have to fire up Ai CS5, i'll not bother with the little warps and tweaks which niggles the hell out of me - I'm guessing this post was a simple act of frustration - Yes there are loads of other posts on this topic but when theres no moderator involvement, It somehow feels like it's all falling on deaf ears, but the appearance of Patrick Connor on this post is a very positive thing -  

@Dazmondo77 @Mark Freeman

The debate is justified. The Affinity line shares code and loosely have this common goal: to be a strong combination for publishing creatives. They certainly share a lot of code and with StudioLink Affinity made it official: Publisher together with Designer and Photo are a strong team. But not really... Something is just wrong with that picture and the marketing. The picture marketed of Designer as a professional tool for illustration and more is almost misleading. Designer is a bitmap artists tool more than anything.

It is like Photo and Designer are two bitmap programs. Photo targeting photo editing and creative bitmap manipulation and Designer targeting bitmap artists mixing a little vector with a lot of bitmap features. The use of Designer I see more than shows that artists love it. Well deserved. But that has not much to do with Publisher owners and their needs. Would you activate StudioLink from Publisher to make or edit art? The use cases in www.affinityspotlight.com are centered around art as well.

So no wonder Affinity customers who purchased or monitor Affinity Designer are looking for - and asking impatiently for - vector features. One customer rightfully asked "Is it a vector program at all?" and it really made me think. Because look at the featureset of Publisher and Photo. They have tons of features - compare the bitmap featureset of Photo and ditto of Designer... and compare that to the weak, thin vector featureset. Many hours and much development was prioritized into bitmap features for years. And into Publisher. Vectors play almost no role and still does not. Somebody prioritized A and not B. Not hours or hands.

So the debate is justified. As a customer or by-watcher it is hard to decipher what Designer really is supposed to be - and more important where it is heading. If you look away from hype and marketing not much happened in the vector department and there are no signs of where Designer is heading in 1.x or 2.x.

As it stands I complete lost hope about getting vector features. I made myself very clear about this in this forum. The lack of vector features and the until now surprisingly buggy boolean operators (divide is still a mess) after five years is no solid foundation for hope. Serif needs to allocate a ton of resources into vector development or to market Designer as what it actually is and will be. So I use it for a very, very limited type of art, if you like, and the only hope I have for more is a fools hope

But OF COURSE your wondering and the lack of some kind of a Affinity Designer compass needle spawns frustrations and OF COURSE this forum should be used to communicate your thoughts and frustrations to Serif. And in that light is is a tragedy to see customers aggressively confronted and rejected by irrelevant forums users with other needs than you. Again and again and again.

To me as a customer and mature person your input is most welcome. Just chiming in here to make you feel welcome in the group of customers who are not-that-satisfied. Progression needs you. Serif does as well. 

Stay safe!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

16 hours ago, Jowday said:

As it stands I complete lost hope about getting vector features.

Sorry you feel that way Jowday - for me personally I find the majority of vector features to be great, it's just takes a little switching over to either Ai cs5 and Image Vectorizer for my top to tail vector workflow - Image Vectorizer works great with Affinity - theres just a few missing features for me that would make Designer amazing, the main three features that would greatly improve my workflow would be Vector warps/distortions, True vector brushes and simplify paths/node reduction - even so I still feel I've produced some of my best work using Affinity and have done stuff which would take way longer to produce in Ai - I used to do a lot of T-shirt design for screen printing and would use manually created halftones quite a lot in my designs, in ai it would eventually grind to a halt but moving the job over to Affinity was nice and snappy, once all the colours are setup as globals, it's a joy to use - I tend to have a bit of a moan now and then, but on the whole I'm delighted with designer, I'm a mac user so theres not a lot of options (I don't do subscription) Serif could have just carried on doing what they where doing pre Affinity, as building professional vector application from scratch using 21st century code must be a massive risk, I just see it as a life line - but until we have the features we need I'll continue to have a flick through the forum for similar discussions.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk