You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"A platform update is required for Windows 7 SP1." received on Windows 10

I haven't used Affinity Photo in awhile, and upon a recent launch I started seeing the error "A platform update is required for Windows 7 SP1". I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1909. OS build 18363.778.

I did try updating to Affinity Photo 1.8.3, and the error remains on launch.

• 3 months later...

@Mark Ingram This thread looks pretty old, but I can confirm I am getting this also on Windows 10 Pro. I think you are on to something with the GPU thing, as I have an external Radeon RX 580 connected via USB-C. When I unplug it, it starts up fine without the warning. I'd rather not unplug it every time I want to run Affinity Designer though.

Annotation 2020-09-01 215522.png

17 hours ago, makenai said:

@Mark Ingram This thread looks pretty old, but I can confirm I am getting this also on Windows 10 Pro. I think you are on to something with the GPU thing, as I have an external Radeon RX 580 connected via USB-C. When I unplug it, it starts up fine without the warning. I'd rather not unplug it every time I want to run Affinity Designer though.

Annotation 2020-09-01 215522.png

Thanks @makenai. Can you give me some details of your external GPU setup?

@Mark Ingram Sure, I'll do my best - I think my setup might be a bit exotic. First, here's some device id's for the card:

898718927_Annotation2020-09-02175044.thumb.png.28138fae0c543c7094bb25354292fa10.png

The actual card in question is this one from Sapphire: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-rx-580-8g-g5

It's inside of this Razer Core X enclosure: https://www.razer.com/gaming-egpus/razer-core-x/RC21-01430100-R3U1

..and finally the it's connected through a Dell 3GMVT TB16 Thunderbolt 3 Dock to a Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop. Let me know if I can get you anything else. I can try taking the dock out of the equation and hooking up to the GPU directly if you think it might help narrow things down.

UPDATE:

I disconnected the dock and connected directly to the GPU and the issue didn't occur. What's worse, is now when I hooked everything back up the way it was before, it doesn't happen in theat configuration any longer either! On the one hand, it's nice things are working properly for me now. On the other hand, I wish I had more helpful info for the next person.

Edited by makenai

• 1 month later...

I also wish there was more useful info, as recently I have been facing the same "platform update" error for both Designer and Photo. Both worked perfectly fine beforehand, but now they only seem to work right after I restart my computer. If I wait too long, I get the error message and I'm unable to use either software. I'm also using an RX 580, however I've got a more traditional desktop setup and it's connected directly to my motherboard.

Edited by EBald32
Typo

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Staff
6 hours ago, WebHeadMX said:

Hola a todos, ahora tengo el mismo problema, hace unos meses empecé con este tema y hasta el día de hoy, no he encontrado una solución en ninguna parte. Tengo una Radeon(TM) RX 460.

Solo para aclarar, ¿estás usando la RX 460 o la RX 460M? ¿Su máquina también tiene una GPU integrada? ¿Sabes qué versión de controladores estás usando para la GPU?

• 1 month later...