You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut for turning all but one layer not visible and back?

HI all,

I have a document with about 20 layers....is there a shortcut or key combo with mouse click...to select one of the layers to keep visible and turn the others off and then a way to click it again and turn them all back visible again?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

29 minutes ago, G13RL said:

Hi cayenne,

To keep a single layer visible, click on it in the layers by holding down the "Alt" key.
To make all the layers appear again, click again on the layer by clicking on "Ctrl/Cmd + A".

Ok...I'm trying....I"m on a Mac.

I don't have the "alt' key...I have command, option and control....(although I'm using a windows style IBM buckling key keyboard, but the keys are mapped to OS X style)....

Right now I have all layers visible.

I"M trying to click on the bottom most layer...I tried holding command or even option while clicking the checkmark for visibility...

NOW..I did just discover something...that if I hold the option key and click in the layer (not the check box for visibility) it does indeed show just that layer....

Lemme may rephrase the question.

Is there a way...starting with al layers selected (check mark on the visible checkbox)....to uncheck the visible checkbox on all layers except the target one with a shortcut/mouse combo?

Is there a way to set that visible checkbox back ON for all of them, if only 1 (or even a couple) are currently checked as visible?

I'm close...thank you for the help!!

cayenne

If I'm understanding what you're after, I'm on a Mac, and this works for me in Affinity Designer :

Hold the option key while clicking on the layer in the layer panel (not the layer's icon). That will toggle off the visibility of the other layers (note that there will still be a checkmark in their "is visible" boxes, even though they're temporarily invisible)

To view all layers again, hold Command, option, and click in the same layer again (again, the layer not the icon. For some reason, you can click on the layer's icon and make the other layers invisible, but Command, option, clicking on the icon won't restore them).

Edited by appearsharmless
edited for clarity

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

• Opt-Cmd-A  = select all layers

This above keyb shortcut selects all enabled ( checked [x]) layers. For those who are selected clicking on the [x] checkbox toggles all selected layers on/off depending on their actual state.

• Ctrl-Cmd-H = Show all

Enables all layers and shows their contents on canvas.

See also: Keyboard shortcuts (down layers operations shortcuts)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, appearsharmless said:

If I'm understanding what you're after, I'm on a Mac, and this works for me in Affinity Designer :

Hold the option key while clicking on the layer in the layer panel (not the layer's icon). That will toggle off the visibility of the other layers (note that there will still be a checkmark in their "is visible" boxes, even though they're temporarily invisible)

To view all layers again, hold Command, option, and click in the same layer again (again, the layer not the icon. For some reason, you can click on the layer's icon and make the other layers invisible, but Command, option, clicking on the icon won't restore them).

Sounds like you're describing Isolation Mode.

According to that Help, to enter Isolation Mode (which displays only one layer) you Alt+Click (Option+Click on Mac) on the layer's thumbnail. To exit, and display all the visible layers again, you simply click on any other layer in the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Apparently, you can enter Isolation Mode with either technique. I kinda like my way better because I can look at a "clean" Artboard with all the layers de-selected (hence no visible bounding boxes, nodes, or other distractions), target the layer I want to work on, and return to a "clean" Artboard with the layers again de-selected so I can see how my changes look.

(BTW, Walt, do you happen to know if there's any documentation for how to format forum posts? I noticed some people post images in-line instead of at the end of their post, but I haven't been able to figure out how they do it.)

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:
  • Opt-Cmd-A  = select all layers

This above keyb shortcut selects all enabled ( checked [x]) layers. For those who are selected clicking on the [x] checkbox toggles all selected layers on/off depending on their actual state.

• Ctrl-Cmd-H = Show all

Enables all layers and shows their contents on canvas.

See also: Keyboard shortcuts (down layers operations shortcuts)

Ok the comes the closest to what I was hoping for....didn't know about option+command A to select all layers...that was the kicker.

I hate to mention the "PS" application, but I was looking for what is commonly done there where you hold a key and click a layer (alt click on windows I think)  and it makes all others but that invisible....and then you can re=visible (is that a word? Haha)....with same key and mouse click.

Ok this will work for me, I just was looking now for a quick way to set only 1 layer visible....in this case the bottom most one and I can now easily build up from there.

I love AP, but wow....there are some very hidden work arounds to very common operations in PS....thanks to ALL in the forum for such quick and great answers!!!

Hopefully when I get more proficient, I can return the favor for others.....I also hope there gets to be more info out there on the web for these sorts of questions.

Again, thank you!!

cayenne

2 hours ago, appearsharmless said:

(BTW, Walt, do you happen to know if there's any documentation for how to format forum posts? I noticed some people post images in-line instead of at the end of their post, but I haven't been able to figure out how they do it.)

Type part of the text, drag the image you want from File Explorer or Finder to the spot at the end of the text, then resume typing. Or, rather than dragging, paste the image, then resume typing.

At least, that's how I do it. :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmmm... I tried drag/drop and copy/paste before, and the images paste in ok, but are no longer there when I click "preview".

Let me try to paste them in again and submit this reply anyway.

Edited by appearsharmless
Nope... didn't work ☹️

20 hours ago, appearsharmless said:

First, drag the image into the "Drag files here" area at the bottom of the reply window, or use the choose files option to do the same thing.

Then, position the text cursor in the text of the reply where you want to insert the image & click the + symbol in a circle in the lower left corner of the image in the "Uploaded Images" section to insert it in your post at the text cursor location.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7