You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, although I have a graphic tablet a lot of the basic actions are arguably better executed with a mouse. Using the pen and node tool in designer is a bit fiddly with my graphic stencil. Coulld anyone recommend a mouse that can give me the required precision. At present I am using a bog standard logitec wireless mouse,  but would like more control. Thanks.

I'm using the same and I'm very satisfied with it. Why you don't like it? Why you need more control?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi Petar, the movement of my mouse feels sluggish and not smooth resulting in jerky action when making or modifying a selection / shape. This could be due to age as the mouse is approx 4 years old. When you watch Affinity instructional videos on YouTube, the movement of the cursor seems more precise. Thanks for your response.

Edited by Jonjo131
misspelling

I'm using a cheapo Tesco optical mouse, and it's fine.  It's been a long time since I saw a mouse that wasn't optical, but is it possible yours just needs cleaning?  Has "Enhance pointer precision" been disabled on your system?

<edit>

"Enhance pointer precision" doesn't make any obvious difference on my system.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

As well as cleaning the mouse the surface you use it on makes a lot of difference.

A lot of people don't use mouse mats these days but they really do help with precision.

I recently switched to an ADX ultimate gaming mat - wow

I use an inexpensive mouse by Macally ( USB Optical Quiet Click Mouse for Mac/PC ).

For me, the advantages are that it's ambidextrous and wired (I've had issues with several wireless mice), but the feature I appreciate the most is that it has an unobtrusive, but easy to reach button that lets me change DPI tracking on the fly.

That feature means I can navigate the canvas and menus at top speed, but instantly drop down to a slower speed for zoomed-in precision work.

I highly recommend looking for mice with this or a similar feature.

(BTW, the Macally mouse is advertised as having "extremely silent" Quiet Click buttons. Don't believe it: they sound like the buttons on every mouse I've ever used)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

When my Logitech MX620 Cordless Laser Mouse died after 9 very happy years I started hunting for a replacement.  The 4th mouse I bought in 2019 was the Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Optical Mouse.  This is the closest I could find to something that worked smoothly and was comfortable.  It was the first vertical mouse I had ever used and only took minutes to get accustomed to.  It has 2 resolutions toggled by a button.  I set the first so that I can move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other without running out of mouse movement space.  The other is set to about an inch on the screen to an inch of mouse movement.  It's wireless but the battery holds under heavy use for a good 4 months I'd say.  I can use it while the battery is recharging from a USB port. 

My only complaint is with the scroll wheel, actually two complaints.  I prefer it to not have clicks/detents, they are softer on this mouse than most but still there.  And the scrolling action is a bit slower than I'd like, I have to move the wheel further to get the needed scrolling that I want.  It's funny because the main thing I hated about the previous 3 mice purchased is that the scroll wheel had a ridiculous acceleration that I couldn't get shut off.  It was meant for people that want to scroll dozens of pages with a single swipe of the wheel making it useless for accurate scrolling.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra