Abtex

Loss of Sharpness when Exporting to Jpeg

Hello,

When I export an image in Affinity photo to a jpeg I loose the sharpness of the detail. The Jpeg becomes quite blurred. I've been using Affinity photo for a while and never noticed this before. I've not changed any settings. Any one else come across this issue?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Abtex said:

I've not changed any settings

But what settings were you using? It sounds as if you have inadvertently changed the quality setting.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,5 Designer 1.8.5 and Publisher 1.8.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

it looks like a compression ratio too high, see jpg option  File > export setting > start with quality 100%

What are your JPEG export settings like? Is it possible to uploading a sample both as an .afphoto file and an exported JPEG so we can see the difference?

20200510-001830.png

Preferences -> performance -> View quality

Do you have bilinear selected? Try best quality if that is the case - perhaps the image will look like the output file then.

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

3 hours ago, jstudley said:

I've had the same issue, just started happening. Saved a jpg at 100% and it is noticeably not as sharp as the AP file. 

Gotta say I do not see difference (when both carefully set to 100 % view). Maybe it is my eyes.

Just now, Fixx said:

Maybe it is my eyes.

Mine too?

I see no obvious difference in sharpness when I take the uploaded jpg and paste it to the top of the stack in the supplied APhoto document and click that layer on and off

If it's not a setting in the OP's setup then maybe the OP is checking the exported JPG in another application where the sharpness is being affected

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Repeating: The image looks sharper than it is with bilinear selected in view quality in preferences, performance. Best quality reflects what I get after saving to JPG.

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

Hi @jstudley
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm seeing the same issue as you (lack of sharpness compared to the original) when the View Quality is set to Bilinear which i believe is the setting you have selected in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section, View Quality dropdown. Can you confirm please? What OS are you running? Windows or macOS?