You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Whenever I use the Clone Brush Tool to clone over a larger area, rather than just single clonings, the selector cross drags along (usually an inch or so lower in frame) and makes a new clone point and image. Is there a setting I can use that will allow me to clone one section.image and reuse it over and over? 

You perhaps have the Aligned option set on in the Context Toolbar, and want it off? (Or vice versa.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, Walt that did the trick. Can you explain why I would want the aligned option on, and perhaps how to reset the position of the 'aligned' + for those times when I could want to do cloning like that?

Thanks

8 hours ago, DaveAnyc said:

Can you explain why I would want the aligned option on, and perhaps how to reset the position of the 'aligned' + for those times when I could want to do cloning like that?

Glad it helped :)

Sorry, no, I can't explain the use cases. I don't use cloning very often, and don't remember when I use which option. But all the apps I've ever used that support cloning have those two modes of operation, so both must be useful. It probably depends on the image and exactly what you're trying to do.

To reset the clone source position you would Alt+Click with the tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As Walt says, you alt+click to select the origin point. If "align" is selected the origin point moves in relation to where you are painting with the clone brush. If "align" is not selected the origin point stays where it is, so that it keeps cloning from the same point. With the brush aligned you can copy one whole area to another place, however, with it unaligned you can keep repeating a smaller area over a larger one (maybe to fill a larger area with grass by cloning it from a smaller one.) The main problem with this is that you can end up with an obvious repeated pattern if you're not careful!  

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Perfect. Thanks Walt and PaulEC, this will make the CloneBrush much more useable. I'll experiment with the Alt click to reset position in aligned mode and see if that allows me to set its relative position.