You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel layer offers "Rasterize" command — why?

Yes, it seems confusing. But Rasterizing a pixel layer can change it. For example, if it has a mask, or live filters applied, they will be finalized ("baked in").

I think there are other cases where Rasterize... will also have an effect on a raster layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

42 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, it seems confusing. But Rasterizing a pixel layer can change it. For example, if it has a mask, or live filters applied, they will be finalized ("baked in").

I think there are other cases where Rasterize... will also have an effect on a raster layer.

Understood, however I am referring to a single pixel-based layer with nothing added to it. In such an instance, the "Rasterize" option should be greyed out as it does not appear to serve any purpose.

32 minutes ago, photoshop1.0 said:

I am referring to a single pixel-based layer with nothing added to it.

Even then, as I said, I think there are other cases where Rasterize... will have an effect. However, I don't remember what they are. Someone else may.

If, however, Rasterize... never has an effect on a pure raster layer, then I would agree with you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, photoshop1.0 said:

Understood, however I am referring to a single pixel-based layer with nothing added to it. In such an instance, the "Rasterize" option should be greyed out as it does not appear to serve any purpose.

Rasterise does still serve a purpose. Transforming (scaling, rotating, skewing, moving) a Pixel object is done non-destructively, so rasterising is a valid command for a Pixel object because that will resample it to a Pixel object that has the document pixel density and is aligned with the document pixel grid.

5 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Transforming (scaling, rotating, skewing, moving) a Pixel object is done non-destructively

When explaining the difference between ‘Image’ layers and ‘Pixel’ layers on these forums, Serif staff consistently state that an ‘Image’ layer can be transformed without losing quality. The clear implication of this is that the same does not apply to a ‘Pixel’ layer.

If transformation is non-destructive in both cases, what is the purpose of the ‘Image’ layer type? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I would not consider it irrelevant on existing single pixel layers 
'Rasterise' is there for several reasons..some of which are extremely useful. Partly depends on what tools you are using and whether you want to maintain non-destructive layers or 'finalise' them using rasterise layer/rasterise to mask options. It could be a combination of:

A. Option to Rasterise embedded files
B. Rasterise Grouped vector layers and combined vector/pixel elements (one of the fantastic advantages of AD over competitor applications)
C. Rasterise sketches created with the 'vector brushes' (+grouped and combined with vector)
D. Rasterise Vector elements so you can go-digital with painting/pixel persona
E. Apply Mask to vector/pixel elements and in effect create a single pixel layer
F. Painting Vector or raster brushes onto existing images
G. Technically flatten non destructive erase...

I am sure there are more...I use all the time when painting with vector brushes or pixel brushes that need combining into single pixel images.

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

If transformation is non-destructive in both cases, what is the purpose of the ‘Image’ layer type?

Well, for one, in Publisher (or documents created by Publisher, or layers copied from Publisher) it may be treated as a Linked image, and edited separately.  In all the applications, it will otherwise be treated as Embedded, and (before rasterization) it can be Replaced via the Context Toolbar. And in Publisher, whether Linked or Embedded, it can be tracked and operated on by the Resource Manager.

Also, for (Image) layers the Context Toolbar gives you the rescaling options, and some other options that are not present for (Pixel) layers.

-- Walt
PC:

52 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When explaining the difference between ‘Image’ layers and ‘Pixel’ layers on these forums, Serif staff consistently state that an ‘Image’ layer can be transformed without losing quality. The clear implication of this is that the same does not apply to a ‘Pixel’ layer.

I prefer facts to implications :)

Both Image and Pixel objects can be transformed non-destructively.

If I'm wrong, someone will surely prove that I'm wrong. I'm sure you can work out how to test it for yourself.

Rasterizing a pixel layer will also get rid of those pesky decimal places in the x/y and w/h values. For example, when you move or resize a pixel layer.

Which means you won't get that unwanted and unexpected 1px discrepancy when trying to export an image to a precise size, which can occur with pixel values that contain decimals

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I always include a Rasterize a layer as the first or second step of many of my macros. Before the 'Rasterize and Trim' command was introduced, I found it effective in trimming the excess space after a non-destructive crop. This was important before calling many plugins.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630