You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant crashing working with fonts.

Thanks markw I will try all those things you say. This morning only did the line through top menu issue a couple of times and nothing else. Been trying to replicte the font problem and it was impossible... in any case I now have some ideas to try and solve it. 

Thanks again!

Another possibility would be to use Mackup here for such backup and restore of app settings then, if one has often to deal with such things. Mackup is a Python based solution (thus one needs an installed Python to run that) for app settings backup/restore. - Since they actually don't have ready to use included config (*.cfg) files for Affinity apps, one can add own ones for the Affinity products, aka ...

• mackup/mackup/applications/affinity-designer.cfg
[application]
name = Affinity Designer

[configuration_files]
Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/user

... pretty simple.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for posting that link v_kyr I hadn't heard of Mackup before. A great little find😎

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Well I have updated the OS, just to start somewhere, and I am in Mojave now, as I didn't want to be on Catalina yet. And it looks all issues have gone now. 

Some stuff in the AD UI look different, like the OS windows that now are dark if the UI is dark and clear if the UI is clear, but I can live with that... even though before I was on the dark UI and my OS windows where light and I prefer it... but I see I cannot change it now somehow. Also I put the UI light for Mojave, so I am not sure why it is showing it all dark when before it wasn't. Anyways... it looks like all the important things are fine now so fair enough. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks again for the help everyone!1402271222_Screenshot2020-05-11at18_32_18.png.8e780ceba332507ea1cdd0298e434e12.png 

@IsabelAracama the problem could be font related too, some corrupted fonts, font cache or even a lot of them installed. I've found if i have more than 1500 fonts installed my system start to become a little bit crazy especially Designer that start to give me some permission error or permission denied everytime i save or export a file, so this is something to keep an eye on it too.

20 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

@IsabelAracama the problem could be font related too, some corrupted fonts, font cache or even a lot of them installed. I've found if i have more than 1500 fonts installed my system start to become a little bit crazy especially Designer that start to give me some permission error or permission denied everytime i save or export a file, so this is something to keep an eye on it too.

Thanks! I will. So far I wouldn't say I have so many though. But good to keep an eye on. We'll see if this lasts as is now :) thanks again

1 hour ago, IsabelAracama said:

Some stuff in the AD UI look different, like the OS windows that now are dark if the UI is dark and clear if the UI is clear, but I can live with that... even though before I was on the dark UI and my OS windows where light and I prefer it... but I see I cannot change it now somehow.

It's now more adapting the OS based Apple Mojave dark mode, which before wasn't available for Sierra. Before Mojave the dark/white view mode handling was entirely driven by Affinity software itself, now they adapt to Apple's theme. - Beside that you can adjust the greylevel of AD in it's preferences settings ...

greylevel.jpg.16df5ea5bb4467d18ccb53f97f385f2b.jpg

Preferences

User Interface options

• Background Grey Level—controls the greyscale level of the pasteboard surrounding the document.
  • Artboard Background Grey Level—controls the greyscale level of the pasteboard surrounding artboard(s).
  • UI Gamma—adjusts the contrast of the user interface.

See:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thaks v_kyr!

I have it dark in AD as usual... but what I don't get is that, having the light mode in Mojave AD is still getting the dark OS mode when I open from within it...

I tried and saw that making the AD UI light, it will display to light for the OS too... Summing up, I did all the combinations and the only one that will give me the light OS window whic is the one I have set for the OS, is the light UI in AD.. But oh well...

1 minute ago, IsabelAracama said:

I have it dark in AD as usual... but what I don't get is that, having the light mode in Mojave AD is still getting the dark OS mode when I open from within it...

It's probably due to the fact that you can control the AD look independently from the OS setting, meaning here, even you may have set your OS (Mojave) overall to light mode, a bunch of apps have and do still their own color theme settings. Thus you can run Mojave overall in light mode but AD will be still in dark mode (which is the apps default setting if not changed in the AD prefs).

9 hours ago, IsabelAracama said:

Summing up, I did all the combinations and the only one that will give me the light OS window whic is the one I have set for the OS, is the light UI in AD.. But oh well...

There is in Mojave a third option in Preferences > User Interface for "Default OS" but even if System Preferences > General is set to Appearance > Light, almost all of the Affinity menus, panels, & windows still use the Affinity dark UI. The staff have mentioned that this may be a bug or changed in the future but there is AFAIK no more info about it than that.

The only exception I know of is in Preferences > User Interface there is an option near the bottom for "Always use white background for Font dropdown." Personally, I would prefer it if that option applied to all dropdown menus, & to Open, Save, & Save As windows, not just the fonts dropdown.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, IsabelAracama said:

So you mean you have the top menu background also dark?

No, because I have System Preferences set to use the Light appearance, my macOS menu bar items show dark text on a white background, just like yours do. But for example, File > Open or File > Save in the Affinity apps opens a window with a black background & white text, unlike any other app installed on my Mac that uses the standard macOS interface for file system access.

For example, I get this in AD:

917358256_ADopen.jpg.199de5bc9898c6ff2c79c67d322e5dc1.jpg

In my other apps the same folder looks like this:

1903471581_PixelmatorPro.jpg.0e6fa6970b41677a50d82fdcd17b3b46.jpg

I would much prefer the light background with black text for these windows, & also for application dropdown menus like for the Snapping options. As I understand it, Preferences > User Interface when set to "Default OS" should do this, but it does not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7