You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't switch language while typing text

The input source is not set in Affinity. If you have activated the shortcut keys for toggling input resources in your System Preferences then Ctrl + Space will do the change in any app, in Affinity, too. – What makes you assume Cmd + Space would do this?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I switch languages with Cmd+Space in other programs and it's set in my OS settings. But in AD it doesn't work. To change input source I have to switch it manually by mouse in the tray

Edited by antong

The cmd+space shortcut should be working for you in Designer.
It works for me and always has, so I’m not sure why it’s not for you?
Have you had past versions of Designer and If so did it work for you then?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

What macOS version?  What do you get in AD with Cmd + Space?

Here in 10.14.6 the preset macOS shortcuts are Cmd + Space to open Spotlight and Ctrl + Space to switch the input resource. Both shortcuts work this way in Affinity, too.

1166073416_inputresourcesshortcut.thumb.jpg.3b0abb55ea1d6c578dd7706f56a4312a.jpg

However, there are some keyboard issues reported already, some of them are about Cmd + Space, which for some users is expected to zoom in Affinity, whereas for others Cmd + Space does open Spotlight.

So, if you want to avoid the workaround to change your macOS shortcut, maybe someone else will know more help.

25 minutes ago, thomaso said:

However, there are some keyboard issues reported already, some of them are about Cmd + Space, which for some users is expected to zoom in Affinity, whereas for others Cmd + Space does open Spotlight.

Could that be related to whether the user has chosen, in Affinity Preferences, to use the standard Mac keyboard shortcuts?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Could that be related to whether the user has chosen, in Affinity Preferences, to use the standard Mac keyboard shortcuts?

I'd say unlikely, because Cmd + Space is a typical macOS command (regardless of its 2 meanings in mac). Honestly I don't understand yet when users report that Cmd + space would not work to zoom in Affinity.  Is in Affinity/windows a default shortcut Cmd + Space?

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Is in Affinity/windows a default shortcut Cmd + Space?

Well, Windows doesn't have a Cmd key :)

But as far as I know Ctrl+Space is not an assigned shortcut. At least, if it is, I don't know what it does (and I can assign it to other functions via Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, without Affinity complaining).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It makes no difference on my Mac whether Apple's or Serif's default shortcuts are selected for use in Designer. cmd+space still works to change input language.
Out of interest, Apple has the following to say about the cmd+space shortcut. Note the second half about useres with more than one input language:
Command–Space bar: Show or hide the Spotlight search field. To perform a Spotlight search from a Finder window, press Command–Option–Space bar.
(If you use multiple input sources to type in different languages, these shortcuts change input sources instead of showing Spotlight.)

The full list of shortcuts can be found here: https: //support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201236
I also just tried seeing if I could set cmd+space as a shortcut in Designer in case the OP had maybe set it in there for another action and it was conflicting with the OS. But actually Designer wouldn’t let me set it as a shortcut at all and displayed a red warning triangle.

Really can't see why this isn't working for user antong...?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

8 minutes ago, markw said:

I also just tried seeing if I could set cmd+space as a shortcut in Designer in case the OP had maybe set it in there for another action and it was conflicting with the OS. But actually Designer wouldn’t let me set it as a shortcut at all and displayed a red warning triangle.

This shortcut still appears a little confusing.  [We both use 10.14.6 and more than one input resource. But whereas for you cmd + space changes the input resource to me it still shows the spotlight window, while Ctrl + Space toggles my keyboard language, in both Finder and Affinity. I haven't altered the default settings for any of these shortcuts in any app, also pressing the reset button in the according macOS system preference doesn't alter the shortcuts (but it does get reset by this button if I assign a different, custom shortcut before). I wonder what causes this different shortcut presets and behaviors in same OS versions.]

What if you press in Affinity Space + Cmd (in this order)? Then I get the zoom-in tool. According to other posts Cmd + Space is supposed to zoom, as for instance noted here by the OP and two replies of MEB, who mentions this certain, unusual key order in his second post:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've rebooted my laptop, opened a new document to record a video and it started working. I don't know why it didn't work yesterday. 

Sorry, guys. I should check the bug multiple times in different documents before posting and will do.