You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What do you think ⌘J should be doing, and what is it actually doing? :/

The only thing I can see from your screenshots is that the highlight in the Layers panel is moving down.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Michael Bobarev said:

Any explanations?

Could you explain what you did to create the three screenshots, or more importantly, between the three screenshots. I would guess that you pressed Ctrl-J, but you do not say so. All that seems to be different is that a different layer is selected.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

What do you want to do? This command makes a copy of the selected element and places it on the original. If you change now the copied element e.g. in width and height (or position) and hit CMD+J over and over you will see the change.

Edit: Hmm, you are on Mac? Should work on Windows and Mac the same.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

8 minutes ago, Michael Bobarev said:

+71 px -)

We don’t currently have an option to make each duplicated circle 71 px bigger than the previous one. If you duplicate a circle of radius 710 px and make the radius of the new circle 71 px bigger, it will be 10% bigger, and when you duplicate again the next one will be 10% bigger than the previous one (so instead of 710, 781, 852, 923, etc, you will get 710, 781, 859.1, 945.01, etc).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

We don’t currently have an option to make each duplicated circle 71 px bigger than the previous one. If you duplicate a circle of radius 710 px and make the radius of the new circle 71 px bigger, it will be 10% bigger, and when you duplicate again the next one will be 10% bigger than the previous one (so instead of 710, 781, 852, 923, etc, you will get 710, 781, 859.1, 945.01, etc).

Would be great to have ...! #features #affinity

You can do this in a rather messy way by repeating:
* add a thick stroke to the circle;
* menu "Layer → Expand Stroke";
* menu "Layer → Geometry → Separate Curves";
* select the inner circle;
* repeat the above as many times as you need;
* remove the Fill Colour from the circles.
It’s repetitive, and you get some duplicate circles which may need to be deleted, but it’s not difficult, just time consuming.

Annotation 2020-05-08 131626.png

That makes me wonder what Cmd-J actually memories – it is obviously not exactly the user action. Otherwise it would work (and should actually) if I type in the transform panel behind the Width value "+71" then Cmd-J would create copies with this absolute +71 added for each, instead of adding any relative percentage which the user did NOT type.

It is interesting that a move action does work absolute, not relative. This different and unexpected behavior of Cmd-J for object scaling feels like a bug to me.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

37 minutes ago, Michael Bobarev said:

Would be great to have ...! #features #affinity

If you want to make a feature request, you need to post in the Feature Requests forum. Hash tags aren't going to do anything here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1