You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Doesn't subtract

It would have helped if you had provided a Designer file that has this problem, but my guess is the lower circle has Winding fill mode instead of Alternate fill mode (and the upper one might have it too), and so the result of the subtraction has Winding fill mode. If that is the case, change the fill mode of the lower circle to Alternate before the subtraction or change the fill mode of the result of the subtraction to Alternate. Inspecting/changing the fill mode of an object is done with Layer > Fill Mode > ...

If that is the problem and solution, then it's not a bug.

Otherwise, I think you'll need to supply a file.

• Staff

Hi Antong,

anon2 looks to have hit the nail on the head with this one - judging by the video, the shape has 2 curves (inside and outside) as it is a (Curves) object and not a (Curve), this would further indicate it is just a simple case of not having the correct fill mode.

• Staff

The divide operation is working correctly for me - once divided you have three sections, the newly formed donut, the centre of the donut, and the original shape used to divide it. When you say you can't get it to work, what results are you getting vs what you're expecting?

It appears divide does unexpectedly copy an object if it does not intersect with the other.
In the sample of the two circles Xor would create a donut.

I get odd result with the sample .afdesign from above if I divide the two circles, then change position of one resulting object to let it intersect with the two others and then divide all 3 once more. – Where do all the thin curve details result from?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 hours ago, antong said:

for divide I expect 2 shapes. Sorry I came from Illustrator and I'm trying to figure out the logic of this operations in AD.

Please try my file from the previous post. I don't get donut - just three circles

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 18.23.33.png

Screen_Recording_2020-05-11_at_18_49_18.mov

Divide used on the red and blue shape should result in exactly two shapes. The red with a hole in (donut) and the blue shape. In Affinity Designer the result is an unaltered red circle and two identical blue ones. Three shapes as you describe. It is simply a bug or worse... 

Using divide on a selection of objects where some intersect and some don't results in a confusing mess of correct results and these copies. If you are unlucky you will also get the trash curves show in the post above by @thomaso

It works correctly in Illustrator, in Vectornator on my iPhone and in iDraw on my old iPad mini 2012.

Serif is well aware of the issues - thanks to numerous bug reports - all we can do is wait for the fix. And the vaccine.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
15 hours ago, antong said:

for divide I expect 2 shapes. Sorry I came from Illustrator and I'm trying to figure out the logic of this operations in AD.

Please try my file from the previous post. I don't get donut - just three circles

Ahh yes I see what you mean - as Jowday has said we're aware of issues with divide and have them logged with development. I will pass your comments on.