You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

masks not working 1.8.4.641

masking not working on Affinity Photo version 1.8.4.650 running on Win 7 Pro

same project runs fine on Beta version using same images and masking

prodecure

laz

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

Please confirm the release you're reporting the problem on:

• Your topic title refers to 1.8.4.641, which does not exist. 1.8.3.641 is the current retail version, and given the forum you posted in that should be the release where you have the problem.
  • However, the first sentence of your post refers to it not working on 1.8.4.650, which is the current beta.
  • The next sentence says it does work on the beta.

I think that probably the topic title should have said 1.8.3.641, and the first sentence of the post should also have said 1.8.3.641. But it would be good to know for sure, rather than assuming.

Also, it would help if you could provide a sample .afphoto file to demonstrate the problem. Masking can be used in many different ways, so an example created in 1.8.3.641 where it doesn't work properly would help us understand the issue.

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry. It was the Release not the beta. it is 1.8.3.641 Affinity Photo release which is not working. let me create an aphoto using a simple image, duplicated and masked

and I will attach here. I can make 'masking' work by using the 'erase' brush but cannot for the life of me get it to work using the 'brush'

laz

Mask-Like-a-Pro-1920x1281.jpg

masking_sample_not_working.afphoto

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

Crap....just ran it on the Windows 10 machine and it executes perfectly in both the Beta and the Affinity Photo latest user release... go figure

43 minutes ago, killzen said:

Crap....just ran it on the Windows 10 machine and it executes perfectly in both the Beta and the Affinity Photo latest user release... go figure

image.png.ac1abc22b4fddd821d31bda30fcd5df8.png

Are these colors black and white on the machine causing trouble? You can toggle them with the X key to paint with a black brush on a white mask and vice versa.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

No, its not a problem with black/white as I select with brush. I also toggled them with the 'x' key but not getting the mask to work when I paint. I am using a Win 7 Pro machine when it fails, when I use the Win 10 Pro machine the software works just fine and the mask executes properly. Its interesting since the new Beta will not install on the Win 7 but installs and works fine on the Wndows 10 machine. It may be a compile problem on their end...thanks for your input

6 minutes ago, killzen said:

No, its not a problem with black/white as I select with brush. I also toggled them with the 'x' key but not getting the mask to work when I paint. I am using a Win 7 Pro machine when it fails, when I use the Win 10 Pro machine the software works just fine and the mask executes properly. Its interesting since the new Beta will not install on the Win 7 but installs and works fine on the Wndows 10 machine. It may be a compile problem on their end...thanks for your input

Serif did indeed change something that didn't work well with Windows 7 (installing) in the latest releases (betas or latest release) - interesting side effect though.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Serif did indeed change something that didn't work well with Windows 7 (installing) in the latest releases (betas or latest release) - interesting side effect though.

Yes, indeed, I had that issue being unable to install the Beta on a Windows 7 machine but it installed fine on the Win 10 Pro box. Im sure all this will be worked out, I love my Win 7 box and do not really want

to switch over although I have a win 10 box for other reasons...

8 minutes ago, killzen said:

since the new Beta will not install on the Win 7

The prior beta (1.8.4.647) would not install on Windows 7.

The new/current beta (1.8.4.650) should install just fine on Windows 7. If it doesn't you should report that in the beta forum.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The prior beta (1.8.4.647) would not install on Windows 7.

The new/current beta (1.8.4.650) should install just fine on Windows 7. If it doesn't you should report that in the beta forum.

you are correct, I am now installing the 650 Beta and it works fine including the masking function which does not work in the paid release 1.8.3.641 Affinity Photo

I have now uninstalled the Daub watercolor brushes thinking that was the issue, but it was not, masking is still not working, while it does work on the Beta release. Interestingly, the 'erase' brush still

functions as a 'mask' function by using it to reveal the layer underneath the layer being 'erased'

I have the same problem as described by Kilzen. I've tried it in many ways but I can't get it done.
If I have selected the mask, I cannot work with the brush tool on the mask. The colors are on black and white. But no matter what I try, nothing happens. I also have version 1.8.3.641. And a PC with Windows 10 Home edition.
I hope someone can help me because I really can't work with Affinity Photo this way. For me, Masking is a very essential part of this program. !!

42 minutes ago, Suus said:

I have the same problem as described by Kilzen. I've tried it in many ways but I can't get it done.
If I have selected the mask, I cannot work with the brush tool on the mask. The colors are on black and white. But no matter what I try, nothing happens. I also have version 1.8.3.641. And a PC with Windows 10 Home edition.
I hope someone can help me because I really can't work with Affinity Photo this way. For me, Masking is a very essential part of this program. !!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Can you give us a screenshot showing your workspace and the Layers panel? Also, what brush are you using?

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, Suus said:

try this file with your program and see it it works. Use the basic brush, set opacity, flow and hardness to 100% and then select the mask layer and paint on it and see if it works for you

I reinstalled the software and it still failed but if i select the mask layer and invert it and then reinvert it , it seemed to get things going.

Mask-Like-a-Pro-1920x1281.jpg

mask_test.afphoto

6 hours ago, Suus said:

as you can see, you can 'paint' on the mask and it revelas the modified image underneath, the one with the BW conversion.

this too.JPG

Hi Kilzen ,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, your suggested solutions help not work. Not even in inverse fashion.
Only the Pixel tool leaves a "trace" of paint. The other brushes do not work
I used your photo to test it out.
Anyway thank you for your help.

7 hours ago, killzen said:

as you can see, you can 'paint' on the mask and it revelas the modified image underneath, the one with the BW conversion.

this too.JPG

Black_paint.afphoto Pixeltool.afphoto White_paint_.afphoto

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Can you give us a screenshot showing your workspace and the Layers panel? Also, what brush are you using?

Hi Walt,

Thank you for your welcome reply.

Thank you for your welcome message
I hope you can help me because I'm getting a little desperate.
Perhaps the attachments provide more clarity.

Only the Pixel tool leaves a "trace" of paint. The other brushes do not work. I hope to hear from you soon
Kind regards
Frans Wierckx

Black_paint.afphoto Pixeltool.afphoto White_paint_.afphoto

select the brush you are going to use and open the characteristics window for the brush and at the bottom left, where it says 'reset' go

ahead and reset the brush and see what happens

capture.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. The brush is not painting on any reversed mask or adjustments. I am using a Macbook pro 13 inch 2020 and Affinity 1.8.3.

I also have a similar issue with the frequency separation... it paint but bland it in a very unusual way.

Any suggestion please? 

I am no longer having an issue (so far) I had reinstalled on win 7 and it worked and now I have moved all my stuff to my new Windows 10 computer but have not tried it yet. I will let you know if I have an issue and if I am able to generate a work around. You will probably have to reset all your preferences. do check the opacity setting and set hardness and flow to 100% to see if that solves anything