You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello
I have a BIG problem with Publisher. I can no longer save the file I'm working on, a 200-page publication! The program crashes every time I try to save.
I turned off and on again, closed all programs, nothing to do.
please help me, it's a big deal for my job!

My PC is windows-based.

What can I do??

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Everything, includng fonts, seems to count as an open file, and there seems to be a limit of number of files that can be simultaneously open.

maybe you're right, I deleted 200 of my 300 expected pages, and I saved in another file, without problems.
if this is so it is absurd! I hope some Affinity technician can tell if this is true.

1 minute ago, Paolo192 said:

maybe you're right, I deleted 200 of my 300 expected pages, and I saved in another file, without problems.
if this is so it is absurd! I hope some Affinity technician can tell if this is true.

It is probably an issue with a font or image that is causing Publisher to crash. A bad font can do weird and disastrous things. Now that is pretty rare, but I have had 1 or 2 Indesign files crash when exporting to PDF because of a bad image in Indesign or not RIP properly. The fun part is locating the issue. A simple thing you could try to see if it is the font is change all fonts to Arial or Times New Roman, some standard system font and see what happens. If still crashing I would start looking at places images.  

4 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

But before doing anything, can you describe the kind of publication you have, and how large is it? 

a book, 300 pages, with several hundred images that I linked to the outside (the original file).

the problem is that I'm only on page 70 ...

following your suggestions, I divided my work. I saved the first 70 pages in one file, deleting the rest and saving it in another file. I was able to save them without problems, at least these, finally.

Now I have two separate files for the same book, and I don't know how many more I will have to do until the end.
Now, apart from the inconvenience of having split files of the same job, I no longer know how much I can trust Publisher for my projects. It is a BIG problem that I cannot underestimate. I am perplexed, and I hope that some Affinity technician can help me.

4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Do you have an alternative software, or can you consider purchasing one? If not, I think you should be able to do the job in parts. It is a bit of a pain (you probably also need to combine the table of contents, etc.), but IMO Publisher can handle well and reliably enough these kinds of medium-size but structurally simple jobs containing mixed content. Just remember to make backup copies often enough!

you're very kind, thank you!

I want to continue trusting Affinity, they are good and they deserve trust, hopefully they will continue to improve these software.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, IlariaM said:

sincronizzazione di OneDrive... 😐

Don't use OneDrive, save the image files in the computer itself. Any sort of Cloud or Networked file storage can cause serious problems with the Affinity Applications.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.