You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity APP's doesn't work with El Capitan

Hi,

I just updated my MAC to last Beta 5 of OS El Capitan (15A235d) and I found that any Affinity app works.

They open but when I try to do something then crash and remains at same window.

I know that's not you fault because this is a Beta but it's strange that all the previous betas was working fine with Affinity products and now I can't use the programs.

Can I do something?

Thanks very much for your support.

• Staff

We're looking into this right now and will issue a beta to fix it ASAP. The problem seems to be related to our Layers panel at this stage. El Capitan was working fine up until Developer Preview 5 - but betas occasionally break things, so it's not surprising really. We'll try to have it sorted out soon.

If it's of any consolation, I'm also in the same boat... I have 3 Macs at the office and now I can't run Designer on any of them (and I feel very sad!) :(

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt.

I think is the price we pay for being too curious... :)

Anyway that Beta 5 is working very good in my Mac.

I don't know if it's by the new METAL api or not but Affinity App's literally flies with El Capitan.

I notice that principally at zoom and rendering.

I believe Apple is doing a very good job with that OS X.

Of course you guys much better...  ;)

• Staff

Yeah, I think the work the team at Apple have done with Metal is just awesome :)  The best bit of all (that most people don't seem to understand) is that everything that uses Metal gets faster - and they've made OpenGL, CoreGraphics and lots of their other core technology use Metal - so although we use OpenGL (not Metal directly) the performance increase is noticeable! :)  We're not in the slightest frame-rate limited on the GPU in El Capitan - which is nice! :)

I'm agree with you.

METAL is the best thing we will find at OS X.

I'm so excited to see Affinity APP's having full support with El Capitan.

Hope the rest of developers gets the full compatibility of their APP's soon as you guys.

Thanks for the hard work you're doing...  :)

I just updated my MAC to last Beta 5 of OS El Capitan (15A235d) and I found that any Affinity app works.

They open but when I try to do something then crash and remains at same window.

I hope this is fixed VERY soon!  Really causing a problem for me! (and, yes, I know all about beta risks, etc.)

• Staff

I found and fixed it yesterday, but I've not been in the office today to do anything about getting a build out - we'll be able to sort it tomorrow :)  Something has changed to do with Cocoa's memory management and it upset something in our layers panel - we've sorted it out now so we'll hopefully get everyone working happily again tomorrow :)

Is there a way to get the new betas? I had the beta of Photo, but I removed it when I purchased Photo. I only heard about Affinity after Designer was out. I would reaaaaaally like to get my hands on them. (Particularly Designer.) I know I shouldn't have put El Capitan on my production machine, but I wasn't planning on doing any freelancing, but then it happened. (And come on ... shiny new features ... of which I'm basically using none that I can think of. Ugh I shouldn't have done the beta.)

• Staff

Hi DavidMalcolm,

You can get the latest Beta from here (usually pinned at top). After installing it you will be notified trough a dialog when a new update is available (with a link to the download).

Note that the current Beta available there (1.3.1.26723) doesn't work with El Capitan. There will be a new one soon with the El Capitan issue fixed.

Glad to see there is a fix on the way! I installed El Capitan on my iMac and have Yosemite on my Retina MBP. I was really happy that the latest beta fixed the Font Book crash issue and loaded up some fonts I've been using in recent projects only to open AD to find it no longer works. Bummer.

I also was part of the beta testing until the final releases were available and I could purchase Designer and then Photo. Will the El Capitan fix be available through a regular App Store update or will I have to go back to the Beta program?

Thanks so much! I rarely post here as I have always found such great answers to my questions just by searching. I can't say enough great things about the Affinity team! Great work, guys! Thanks again!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.