You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Publishing to create a large book

Hi - would the Publisher program be appropriate to use to create a relatively large book, say 300-400 pages?  It will be a mixture of photos and text.  Or is the program more suited to shorter projects such as brochures etc?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, mike101 said:

Hi - would the Publisher program be appropriate to use to create a relatively large book, say 300-400 pages?  It will be a mixture of photos and text.  Or is the program more suited to shorter projects such as brochures etc?

Thanks!

Publisher is what you want. It is Affinitys version of Indesign which is what you would use if you were using Adobe software.

Should have no issue with 400 pages, that is nothing all that heavy for a page layout program. 

Good luck!

**update read my post further down, Publisher is not as smooth as I assumed it would be **

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

Publisher has improved a along the time but it still struggles with large publications. Just search the forum and read some of the recent topics to see how people can have problems with publications with lots of links (especially when using the Windows version). The app can also get sluggish with a book with several hundreds of pages. If you do not have other options, and if you are creating the book for commercial press, or create a digital only book and do not have features like indexes, I would consider creating the publication in parts and then combining the PDFs (if necessary).

Before starting with the real job, I'd recommend that you simply test how it goes if you add approximately the amount of text and photos your book is going to have (just make copies of real text instead of using filler text and a make multiple copies of a pageful of photos).   

A bit surprising. I did a test and made a 1000 page document filled with flowing filler text that I created in Indesign and saved as IDML and imported into Publisher. Incredibly laggy when typing. No pictures in the file. The file handled fine in Indesign, no typing lag. Scrolling a bit choppy in Indesign, but nothing excessive to make it unusable. I tried with a 500 page document, same as the 1000. Typing lag a little better, annoying but think I could still work with it if I had to. 

21 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I would consider creating the publication in parts and then combining the PDFs (if necessary).

Absolutely!

I have a 250pp book with the usual mix of file formats linked to the pages in 10 separate files. It was produced in InDesign. Now in its tenth edition,  indexing and -reindexing is easy because multiple files can be 'booked' and a composite ToC and Index can be created. Not unlike PagePlus😬

I can't see how to do that in Publisher. If somebody can show me how, I will be able to make good use of the remaining Lockdown period 🙂