You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey There,

I have spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out why the move tool is not working.

I am trying to resize.

I have read forum posts with the same issues and their responses, but nothing seems to help.

I am working on a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15 5000). 

My layer is not locked (see picture below)

I also included my Edit/Preferences/Tools screen (see picture below)

This (move tool) seems like a basic, but without getting past it not working, I am unable to do what I would like. 

Thank you so much!

Sarah

image.png.65afd087b68ab66a20b642e11289806e.png

image.png.770967b9a14863ce4a63c72b3529db69.png

Hi, if you look into the layers panel you will see that the layer is treated as an "_88A0685 (Image)" layer, right click on that layer and rasterize it so that it gets an "_88A0685 (Pixel)" layer. - Then retry to manipulate with the move tool.

...The placed image is added as an image layer rather than a pixel layer. This allows the original image data (e.g., the native resolution, color space and color profile) to be kept. On export to PDF, this data is re-embedded into the PDF file.

Some brush operations (e.g., cloning, dodging, etc.) will automatically rasterize image layers to the document resolution; inpainting or selection manipulation on an image layer will require manually rasterization via right-click of the image layer in the Layers panel. You can control automatic rasterization behavior using the Assistant.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It looks like you have placed an image much larger than your canvas and you are zoomed in so much you can't see the control handles with which you can adjust the image's size.

Try zooming out until you can see the blue bounding box surrounding the image. You should then be able to adjust its size by dragging on the handles/nodes around the blue bounding box, repositioning the image on the canvas as you do so.

Alliteratively, Document > Unclip Canvas will automatically resize the canvas to fit the image.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hey There,

Sorry for the delay of response. I work until about 5:00ish every day, and I am just now getting on to reply and play around with Affinity some more. I am new to all of this (editing program for digital images), so the learning curve is huge. Thank you for your patience and time. 

I did what both of you suggested. It seems you were correct, Carl - my image was so large that I could not see the control handles. I got down this rabbit hole by wanting to resize my images so that they were appropriate for social media posting. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on it, and I could not figure out where those blue handles were! Then I started reading threads on this Affinity forum. 

A couple more questions:

• Is my canvas supposed to be checkerboard or plain white? I have plain white, but I see checkerboard in videos. 
  • I did the unclip canvas as suggested and now have a blue line across the canvas. I can seem to get rid of that. What does that mean? 

This is a raw image BTW. 

Thanks, 

Sarah

image.png.7cf378bcf17de60576a819ab8eafdd05.png

14 minutes ago, sarahkatherine007 said:

Is my canvas supposed to be checkerboard or plain white? I have plain white, but I see checkerboard in videos. 

Checkerboard is to show that there is Transparency, you can turn it on by going to Document > Transparent Background. Or you can do so with a New Document by checking the transparent background in the new dialog window, it is under the Colour section.

14 minutes ago, sarahkatherine007 said:

I did the unclip canvas as suggested and now have a blue line across the canvas. I can seem to get rid of that. What does that mean? 

That looks like a Guide, go to View > Guides Manager and look in the left half under Horizontal guides.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, sarahkatherine007 said:

Is my canvas supposed to be checkerboard or plain white? I have plain white, but I see checkerboard in videos.

Yours looks to be white (so has a white background), the checkerboard would indicate a transparent background (look through).

The blue lines are due to some guides lines. See also:

Design aids

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2