You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reduce bloated Publisher file sizes

I was testing Publisher 1.8.3 today, and compared my original InDesign CS6 file size to that of Publisher. Here is what I saw:

InDesign: 45.4 MB

Publisher: 173.4 MB

Both documents are of the same 36-page catalogue, all images linked (not embedded).

Aside from the fact that the Publisher file size is about 4X larger than InDesign, the IDML file that was used between the two apps was only 894 KB. So, I am confused as to why Publisher's file appears to be so bloated. Are all Publisher files bloated, or only those that are converted from IDMLs?

I am passing along these notes in the hope that Publisher will continue to improve, and therefore enable many users to escape the overpriced subscription models found elsewhere.

My system:
OS X 10.15.4 Catalina
iMac 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
32 GB RAM
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

In fact I saw the opposite (on Windows). My APublisher files are smaller than the Indesign pendants. And it has nothing to do with the IDML. When you re-open the IDML in Indesign and save as INDD the file is definitely over 894 KB. Please keep in mind, that there is no feature parity between APublisher and Indesign and Serif had (my guess) to implement some tricks and workarounds to open IDML correctly. You will notice, that the file size of the APublisher file will shrink the more you work on it and tidy it up the Affinity way.

A blank A4 Indesign is 2,45 MB and a blank A4 APublisher is 1,72 MB.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed