You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving one page from multi-page document adds extension _1

Hi guys,

I have a 8-page document and when I want to save just one page, I export this particular page, change the file's name and save. And Publisher saves it with the extension _1 added to the file's name. Every single time.

It even happens, when I'm replacing the file with the same name - it asks me if I want to replace the previous file in the folder, I click on yes but the files isn't replaced. Instead a new one with _1 is created. So I have to delete the original file first and then rename the new one. Not cool.

Any idea where's the problem?

Thanks.

David

Export to which format? I just did a test exporting one page as a pdf using File > Export... and I had the name I wanted, no suffix added.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Here the starting situation:

937188113_exportimagefilereplacenumberingstart.jpg.2524838cc9739b2bfea39b8797f1ec70.jpg

4 exported JPGs, page 4 + 5 exported with default .afpub name, and with custom name.
They got numbers added automatically.
Their numbers (1 + 2) do not reflect the page numbers (4 + 5).

In the video...:
1. First I save again page 4 + 5 with default .afpub name. –>> The existing JPGS get replaced without warning or option to confirm their replacement

2. Then I export pg 4 + 5 again but with custom name. –>> Also these existing JPGs get replaced without warning or option to confirm their replacement.

3. At last I export 1 single JPG only AND chose the existing custom name incl. number ("_1"). –>> Now I get asked to confirm the replacement, but oddly the existing JPG does NOT get replaced, instead it results in a JPG which got the number added a second time: "... _1_1.jpg".

Since for none of the exports the auto-numbers (1 + 2) do reflect the page numbers (4 + 5) it is even more disturbing because that way even different pages (e.g. 6 + 7) will get replaced just because of their identical auto-numbering.

The video also illustrates the inconvenience of export options not remembering the selected page type (spread vs. single).
It's quite annoying in situations like this where you need to export again and again, or for instance if a specific page (area) needs to get exported several times because of layout changes. Since, fortunately, the page numbers are kept in memory quite well this not-remembering of page type ("area") appears much more like a bug than by design.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1