You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

accidentially moved objects in layout while in "resources manager"

Hi folks,

I experienced it several times now, that I wanted to step through the "resources manager" by using arrow keys. And I totally oversay, that I moved my objects in layout. Is there a better way of having arrow keys working? Within in "resources manager" only?

Thanks for creating Affinity Suite!
Schubi

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

This issue is not only that the arrow keys do not work to navigate within the Resource Manager but instead move any currently selected object.

It is furthermore when opening this window always the 1st item is highlighted and is selected to work for the buttons in this window – but not for arrow keys, neither in manager nor on page.

This automatic and unavoidable preselection of the 1st list entry is completely independent of the current object selection on the page for those object types which are not at all listed in the manager, e.g. a text frame, shape object, curve ...

316577492_resourcemanager1stselected.jpg.1a99663c815107818587f20f71549e5d.jpg

... and is auto-selected even if resources were currently user-selected on page which ARE list items but more than 1, e.g. 2 picture frames or 1 group layer containing images:

864487687_resourcemanager1stselected2.jpg.2e9f0dc68350374d512c51537d84ad68.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

To move the selection on macOS, you need to use CMD + Up/Down. 

I can replicate the first item being selected, but not the last issue, when you have 2 items selected and it still selects the wrong one ( looks fixed in the latest beta). 

Both issues logged. 

Thank you for the Cmd modifier key info to navigate in the manager window.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:27 PM, Gabe said:

I can replicate the first item being selected, but not the last issue, when you have 2 items selected and it still selects the wrong one ( looks fixed in the latest beta). 

Yes, in v651 two selected resources are also selected in the manager. Thanks!

1545102249_resourcemanager-selecttwo.jpg.d9326333f8a16fbca3847fc212fa3d07.jpg

But I still have issues when a resource is used more than once. Those resources are kindly auto-collected in a folder in the manager. Now the selection of 2 resources (one single, the other of the folder) does not show 2 as select but 1 only in the manager:

1293676854_resourcemanager-selecttwooneinfolder.jpg.8595dfbe3223f3aab1338d55c441d49d.jpg

Same with 3 selected items: again the image in the folders are ignored in the manager, even if all items of a folder are selected on page:

2040341513_resourcemanager-selectthreetwoinfolder.jpg.834244aea5684e3797da2ca2b03fb215.jpg

Also it is not possible for a resource selected on page to identify it in the manager if the item is used more than once, because its folder always is collapsed when opening the manager and furthermore the folder gets collapsed if I click one of its objects on page. – Instead I would expect the manager to maintain my folder setting and keep open folder opened, even if I close the window.

Though this video example may appear like an "artistic bug report" a real use can be for instance a logo which gets spread over various pages but only on certain at 'full' size while on others in smaller size. Then the manager makes it quite difficult to control + identify the resources size by their placed DPI. – Another use could be a resource which gets color assigned, varying through the entire layout, or a resource in picture frames, showing varying details throughout all pages.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1