You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Porsche 917K Daytona Winner (AD)

VectorVonDoom

My main complicated drawings are taking ages so I thought I would work on a few easier ones at the same time. This is the first to be finished.

For me Gulf Racing is the most iconic colour scheme in motor racing and I’ve been meaning to do a 917 but never got around to it until now. Unsurprisingly there aren’t a whole lot of overhead shots of it so this was based on photos of the 1:8 scale die cast model by Amalgam Collection. Very high end, about £10k but bespoke can apparently cost up to £120k. Not something to let the kids play with. 

On the Porsche 917K’s public debut at the 1970 Daytona 24 Hours, John Wyer's Gulf-sponsored team finished 1-2 in the race. The winning number 2 car driven by Pedro Rodríguez, Leo Kinnunen and Brian Redman broke the distance record by 190 miles.

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 4.20.05 pm.jpg

4.jpg

x.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I don't know what they are. I looked at photos from that race and found one that showed them but no others did. Camera pods for pre-race filming? They look a bit ugly and spoil the lines so I ignored them. Perhaps they included them as it makes it easier to open the doors as there's no handle and the door button must be very small, just a guess.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 2 weeks later...

Sublime as always Mr Doom 👍

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks. @Frank Pretty much any vector app can do the same as I'm not using any fancy tools (for example AD doesn't have meshes). It's primarily the pen tool and, in something like this, occasionally the shape tools like oval (although they almost always need to be tweaked), then gradients and blurs. Organising it can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Thank you. Apart from all the overlapping bits especially in the reflections, so a bit difficult at times to place new objects (but that can be fiddly in any of them), it was pretty straight forward. These are nice as day to day progress is obvious, with the others it's sometimes spot the difference even after a few days of work.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks. To be honest cars are one of the easier subjects to make photorealistic unless you do something unusual like the engine on the Jaguar which took far, far longer than the body. But I still enjoy doing them as long as the subject is worthwhile (so nothing too modern for me).

I just stumbled upon this, not all hi-res but quite a few are big enough and others are just interesting. 2000 photos.

https://revsinstitute.org/image-sitemap-1.xml

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 7 months later...

I don't usually mind sharing, mine really are 100% vector, and as you did say please... 

There are some alternate backgrounds that are turned off. If you want the enlarged one at an angle then you need to do that yourself by turning on that background group and then enlarge & rotate the main image together with the shadow group below it.

Porsche_917K.afdesign

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

On 6/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

Thanks. To be honest cars are one of the easier subjects to make photorealistic unless you do something unusual like the engine on the Jaguar which took far, far longer than the body. But I still enjoy doing them as long as the subject is worthwhile (so nothing too modern for me).

I just stumbled upon this, not all hi-res but quite a few are big enough and others are just interesting. 2000 photos.

https://revsinstitute.org/image-sitemap-1.xml

Has been added to my bookmarks.

• 1 year later...

Even thought I haven't been as active in the forums over the last few months, I instantly recognized your work in the sample files for AD2. Right on!

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Aa a petrol head this is astonishing and bravo on being included in the V2 promo. Really gives me an insight into your work flow and managing layers. 

I’m working on an Alitalia Stratos, Huracan GT3 and a couple of my road cars!

Really top effort!