My main complicated drawings are taking ages so I thought I would work on a few easier ones at the same time. This is the first to be finished.

For me Gulf Racing is the most iconic colour scheme in motor racing and I’ve been meaning to do a 917 but never got around to it until now. Unsurprisingly there aren’t a whole lot of overhead shots of it so this was based on photos of the 1:8 scale die cast model by Amalgam Collection. Very high end, about £10k but bespoke can apparently cost up to £120k. Not something to let the kids play with. 

On the Porsche 917K’s public debut at the 1970 Daytona 24 Hours, John Wyer's Gulf-sponsored team finished 1-2 in the race. The winning number 2 car driven by Pedro Rodríguez, Leo Kinnunen and Brian Redman broke the distance record by 190 miles.

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 4.20.05 pm.jpg

4.jpg

x.jpg

That is really great. I didn't notice until you mentioned it but can what you mean now comparing the two. On the Amalgam model it has some scoop/pod type things on the door and back corner what are they?

I don't know what they are. I looked at photos from that race and found one that showed them but no others did. Camera pods for pre-race filming? They look a bit ugly and spoil the lines so I ignored them. Perhaps they included them as it makes it easier to open the doors as there's no handle and the door button must be very small, just a guess.

Sublime as always Mr Doom 👍

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks. @Frank Pretty much any vector app can do the same as I'm not using any fancy tools (for example AD doesn't have meshes). It's primarily the pen tool and, in something like this, occasionally the shape tools like oval (although they almost always need to be tweaked), then gradients and blurs. Organising it can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

Superb! The glossy shading is really effective.

I think your definition of 'complicated' and 'easier' are a bit different to mine. 😁

Windows Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Windows 10 Home (v1809). Windows scaling 115% 

Thank you. Apart from all the overlapping bits especially in the reflections, so a bit difficult at times to place new objects (but that can be fiddly in any of them), it was pretty straight forward. These are nice as day to day progress is obvious, with the others it's sometimes spot the difference even after a few days of work.