You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 5/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, GarryP said:

If you state which Affinity application you are using and which Tool in that application then someone should be able to help further.
Also, saying which OS you are using is often useful too.

Affinity designer on windows 10. And it's the pencil tool.

In Designer 1.8.3.641 on Windows 10, when I use the Pencil Tool (using a mouse) I can see the brush being drawn in real-time but I cannot see the ‘spine’ of the stroke (the actual line my pointer traverses) until I release the mouse button.
Is it this ‘spine’ which you want to see?
If so, is there something you get from seeing it that makes things harder when you cannot see it while drawing?
(I don’t think it is possible to see the ‘spine’ but I seem to remember a discussion a while back about this.)

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

In Designer 1.8.3.641 on Windows 10, when I use the Pencil Tool (using a mouse) I can see the brush being drawn in real-time but I cannot see the ‘spine’ of the stroke (the actual line my pointer traverses) until I release the mouse button.
Is it this ‘spine’ which you want to see?
If so, is there something you get from seeing it that makes things harder when you cannot see it while drawing?
(I don’t think it is possible to see the ‘spine’ but I seem to remember a discussion a while back about this.)

I use a tablet and when using the pencil tool if I don't have a stroke I cannot see the outline to the stroke I am creating. And being able to see it means you can see where you're drawing which is pretty essential.

I’m fairly sure that this has been requested before.
I can’t remember what the arguments were for needing to be able to draw something that was invisible – a curve without a stroke – but I think they ended up being explained satisfactorily (something about only being able to apply a brush after the stroke has been created, perhaps, or maybe not that at all, it was a while ago and my memory isn’t great).
You could try having a look in the feature requests section to see if there is an outstanding request, or you can create your own.

15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I can’t remember what the arguments were for needing to be able to draw something that was invisible – a curve without a stroke – but I think they ended up being explained satisfactorily (something about only being able to apply a brush after the stroke has been created, perhaps, or maybe not that at all, it was a while ago and my memory isn’t great).

Discussed here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)