You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo on iPad is amazing. However I need a small feature that I could not find. And it is that when working with the Apple Pencil, I cannot see the shape of the brush when drawing or erasing, which complicates giving precise strokes.

I would like it to be more like working with a Wacom tablet.

Congratulations on your app. I love it!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I made a thread for this same thing a year ago, funnily enought some years a go there was a thread of people asking for no cursor previews, so what Serif seems to have done then, is make a very light and nearly invisible brush preview, which pleased the people asking for no preview, and made people like us that want one, unable to see feedback from  the brushes, I wished they would have gone to a more robust cursor route and instead of getting rid of the brush preview nearly all together, and that they would have given us the option to have: a brush nozzle outline preview, to not have it, or to have the current semi transparent cursor preview, this would allow for different painting workflows, and at least in my case would have made me a heavy user of the application, but as it is right now I cant jump ship from photoshop to designer, I need to see the brush outline to paint.

And this thread from 2017 which is also asking for the opposite, if the devs see this post, please just give us a toggle to have an outline that works like photoshop, the current non intrusive outline is good for the people that are in between, and then no preview for the people that just don't like the feature, that covers all bases and worflows.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, Julia04 said:

I don’t want this function for iPad. If I will see brush while drawing it will be so uncomfortable 

This functionality would most likely be a toggle, so if you don’t want it, you don’t have to use it. Many, many others do want this.

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

On 8/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, Julia04 said:

I don’t want this function for iPad. If I will see brush while drawing it will be so uncomfortable 

Yes that is why I advocate for toggles, that way people like you can remove the cursor and people like me can have it, the best of both worlds and the user base of the app will increase.

I'm just realizing the even the current brush preview that is less than optimal only shows when I use the mouse, if I use my stylus the brush preview disappears instantly, so that means the devs made the app to be very optimized for ipad, however this left any desktop user (or an user that needs precision in the ipad) without options and even the current options don't work, ill check every one once in a while to see if this gets implemented one day, I have a feel this will not happen this year, nor the next, I dare Serif to prove me wrong, I'm saddened that I cant use the app with all the speed improvements it has because of this.

• 1 month later...

+1 to this topic please. The ability to have a brush preview would be invaluable. I appreciate some might want it so a function to toggle it on and off would be superb. Having read the comments above it is clear that once upon a time this was implemented, so it should be a relatively small thing to re-implement assuming good source code control has been used ;o)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 9:42 AM, araninger said:

If you are an artist you should try out Artstudio Pro instead of waiting. People have been asking for a cursor since 2017 without any response.

There are other options besides Affinity, but imho at the moment this is the best competitor Photoshop has in terms of functionality, it has better clone layers, a robust layer effect system (emboss, bevel, and glow effects in Affinity are way more advanced than the ones Photoshop has) and GPU acceleration is being implemented on the application as well, if only Serif would fix the cursor, I would, and I image many others would try to incorporate the application as their main one.

It boggles the mind as to why they don't think this is a priority, its a feature that is core to being able to use the application freely no matter your workflow, which in turn would make the application way more competitive, Clip Studio just updated their cursor systems to also have several different brush previews, including having the actual brush shapes outline visible while hovering with the stylus and to register the tilt direction on the brush in real time as well, and so now I'm starting to use Clip Studio waaaay more, but it does not have bevel and emboss effects among its tool set, Affinity Designer however does, which would make at the moment the most robust painting solution besides Photoshop... alas in the last update an outline for the cursor is still missing. So... back to waiting.

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2021 at 6:21 AM, Renderluz said:

I'm just realizing the even the current brush preview that is less than optimal only shows when I use the mouse, if I use my stylus the brush preview disappears instantly, so that means the devs made the app to be very optimized for ipad, however this left any desktop user (or an user that needs precision in the ipad) without options and even the current options don't work, ill check every one once in a while to see if this gets implemented one day, I have a feel this will not happen this year, nor the next, I dare Serif to prove me wrong, I'm saddened that I cant use the app with all the speed improvements it has because of this.

2023 still not solved. cursor brush preview disappears when I use pen.