You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush stroke issues with Wacom Cintiq

I am a sketch artist and need a good brush for drawing. I use AF because I make complex drawings with 50-100 layers. 

I noticed these issues when drawing on my Cintiq 24HD:

lines are often not smooth. Look at the straight parts in this line: (Stabiliser is no option for me btw. I cannot draw with the lag and unnatural feeling )

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 12.33.42.png

Pressure sensitivity is often uneven:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 12.38.49.png

lastly, and this is not a brush but rendering issue, at certain zoom levels the aliasing is off (tried all view settings, all the same):

1592460497_ScreenShot2020-05-04at12_30_37.png.0228fdf7f44d27805c205da24c2903ef.png

I love AF and it has replaced PS for me which says a lot as I have been using PS professionally for 20 years. But if I can get the brush strokes and rendering right it will be perfect. 

PS I have no issues in other programs like PS, sketchbook. 

Which application you use? ADesigner or APhoto? It is vector drawing, or raster? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Have you tried playing around with enabling (or disabling) Windows Ink in your Windows system settings, Wacom settings, and Affinity Preferences?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your suggestion,  I have played around with all Wacom settings and all affinity settings afaik (not ink, I'm on OSX). in detail:

Wacom pressure sensitity makes no difference

Played with AF view quality, bilinear works best, and Display - open gl works better than Metal in my case

Played a lot with AF brush settings (now I use 90% size pressure, 57% accumulation and 100% hardness)

When I use my settings in any other program like PS or Sketchbook, the lines are fine so my assumption is it is not related to my system settings since it is isolated to affinity photo. If I draw my lines at a certain speed, it is less noticeable but of course I would prefer not to adjust my drawing. I have seen similar issues with other users in older posts so it somehow seems and old issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi ZuffDraw,

Out of interest do the issues you have listed go away if you increase the size of the brush you are working with?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The brush size has no effect. It mainly happens in certain swift strokes with angles as in the example above. 

The uneven pressure seems related to the hardness setting that is not smooth at certain settings. Look at this movie. You can see the same effect in the preview.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2rfv1jkdpmkgit/pressure not smooth.mov?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

This week I purchased the iPad versions expecting better pen behavior on iOS.Im sorry to say it is even worse, unusable actually on my iPad Pro . Jagged lines and stabilizer is so slow it’s of no use to me. I know how good sketching can be after using notepad and pro create but affinity photo or design are nowhere near those two. The issues are similar to the desktop version so imo affinity should really reconsider the drawing engine. It seems there is some fundamental refinements that need to be made. Also the interface is confusing. I get pressure control without force pressure enabled and I’m not sure what the difference is with. Also the preview of the line does not reflect anything other than thickness variation. Opacity, hardness. It doesn’t seem to work correctly or at all. Disappointing unfortunately 

3 hours ago, ZufDraw said:

This week I purchased the iPad versions expecting better pen behavior on iOS.

Are you using the appropriate model Apple Pencil with iPad Pro?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Im sorry to say this is still an issue in Affinity photo (1.8.4). I'm not sure where to turn with this. This is the support forum right? I there an AF employ to talk me through either a solution or, at least, a confirmation of this issue (and whether it's my setting or general)

The line issues only occurs on standard round brushes. Not on brushes with a brush nozzle image. There are three main issues. Lines end with 'arrow' shapes, jagged curves on fast lines and inconsistent hardness between thick and thin lines'. To reproduce:

Create a simple round brush. Size 10, Accumulation 100, hardness 10, spacing 0, Flow 100, shape 100, rotation 0. Blend normal no wet edges. Size jitter 80% set to pressure with straight curve.

Now the lines look like my image in my first post with the arrowheads. Also, the hardness does not translate to the thinner lines. The thinner the line, the harder it gets which should not be the case. Even the preview shows that this is going to be the case:

786868493_Screenshot2020-09-10at10_22_06.png.76a4cf87c1c945c87be07b66b0c69afe.png

in isolation it might be hard to identify the issues but look at these two sketches. First AF, second Photoshop. All the lines have these mild arrow shapes at the ends. End the hardness is inconsistent between the thick and thin lines. Notice the 4th line from the top on the left side. That does not look right does it?

355643335_Screenshot2020-09-10at10_21_06.png.7fc7f793e8e4fe4ba2f144d5c0642821.png

this is photoshop:

224886761_Screenshot2020-09-10at10_21_10.png.dafe4705dc35c303ca9aab163194fc7c.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

SAME. I bought a cintiq 24hd last year- and it never felt 'right'. The lines were jagged and crummy, I thought it was me. Then I was using my OLD tablet and the lines were GREAT. Apparently windows ink talks with the new model in a way that has been producing these awful lines. I've turned off Windows Ink to the degrees I can (before the pen stops working completely, since apparently the two need to work together?), and I've researched this ad nauseum, with nothing to show for it. It sure SOUNDS like this is a Photoshop/Windows issue? It also sounds like no one plans to ever get rid of that horrible, horrible windows ink- or otherwise fix this. Anyone got any leads???

I'v seen the link to windows link before. However I have this issue in OSX and always have (the mac version of) Ink turned off. And it also occurs on the iPad. In small files it's fine, but when the resolution is larger and draw in low zoom levels (20%) the lines become jagged.