You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am an absolute beginner and am very excited about the potential of this great program but would some kind patient person please give me the step by step procedure to import a photo from i-photo and to just use simple enhancement and adjustment to that photo and then saving or returning to i-photo?

I have viewed the tutorials but they are too advanced for me at this stage.

Thanks guys.

Regards

Wayne

After rereading your question it seems more likely to me that it was just the import/export you were asking about.

To open a photo in Affinity Photo while in iPhoto you could just drag it from iPhoto to Affinity Photo.

Were you to already have Affinity Photo open you could simply go to View - Media Browser - iPhoto and select the photo you want.

To place the edited image back into iPhoto go to File - Share - and choose to add the image to iPhoto.

If I have assumed incorrectly and you actually did have questions concerning enhancements and adjustments please ask them again and I am sure you will get an answer that is helpful.

Hello Wayne,
Yes I'm just getting to grips with this software too!

My two methods for editing a photo that is already in iPhoto are:
1: In Affinity Photo go to; View > Media Browser and locate your desired photo in iPhoto and select it.
2: (This needs a little initial setting up) But you can also open photos with any external editor, like Affinity Photo, from within iPhoto itself.
Assuming you have not setup an external editor in iPhoto before…
In iPhoto's preferences go to the 'Advanced' tab. Second option down is 'Edit Photos:' Click on this and choose 'In Application', you will get a navigation window open, look for Affinity Photo and choose it to be your editor of choice. Close the Preferences window.
Now when you have a photo highlighted or open in iPhoto, when you click the 'Edit' button, AP will automatically launch and load the photo.
This is good but maybe like me you would prefer to fiddle with a photo first in iPhoto and then if that wasn't cutting it use AP.
So…
Back in iPhoto's Advanced preferences, click 'Edit Photos' again. Now you should see two choices; 'In iPhoto' and 'In Affinity Photo'. Click 'In iPhoto' and close the window.
So now iPhoto is back to being the primary editor when you click the Edit button. However if you right click on a photo in iPhoto, now you should see an option to 'Edit In External Editor' and clicking this will automatically open the image in AP.

With whatever method you used to get the photo into AP, after editing it if you hit Save or Save As you will only be able to save the photo in AP's own file format which maybe is not what you want, unless you intend to work on the photo some more later.
To get the photo back into iPhoto directly use; File > Share > iPhoto.
Once AP has exported the photo and you can see it safely back in iPhoto, (it may take a few seconds) you can then close AP (or just the editor window) When prompted to Save choose 'Don't Save'
Now the photo is back in iPhoto you can organise it just as you would any other camera import.
Of course you now have two version of the photo in iPhoto, pre and post edit, which is always a good thing just incase you should have a change of heart…

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

With whatever method you used to get the photo into AP, after editing it if you hit Save or Save As you will only be able to save the photo in AP's own file format which maybe is not what you want, unless you intend to work on the photo some more later.

To get the photo back into iPhoto directly use; File > Share > iPhoto.

Not sure how your working, but after editing and hitting save not save as Affinity Photo saves the picture directly back to iPhoto, works the same with Aperture and Lightroom once the external editor has been set up. Tried and tested...

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Well that's interesting if that's how it was supposed to work.
But so far for me and iPhoto, after editing in AP using Save or Save As in Affinity Photo only gives me the native AP file format, as I said. Curious…
I'm on a Macbook Pro running 10.8.5 and iPhoto 9.4.3 Maybe something changed in the newer OS versions since then which is why I'm seeing this?

A corection:

While 'Save As' dose only offer AP's own format, for me hitting 'Save' seems to do nothing. The photo in iPhoto remains the same. :blink:

Another corection (I'm typing this as I play in AP!)

YES this time hitting 'Save' worked! For the first time! However it did take a while to register in iPhoto but still it did work this time :)

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 3 weeks later...