• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.8.4.651 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.3 version recently released to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

---

Improvements and Fixes

General
Fix for zero-height / width objects moving to the wrong pages when switching to / from 'Facing Pages'
Text > Interactive - Options mismatched with Context Menu 
(Mac) Fixed Colour chooser UI
(Mac) 'Lock Children' wasn't updating correctly on the Context Bar
(Mac) Fixed Paragraph Panel 'Use Space Before' popup
(Mac) Page view doesn't change when double-clicking pages with OpenGL (Basic) display
(Mac) File > Edit in Designer and File > Edit in Photo customisable shortcuts missing
(Mac) Convert to Text Frame now handles stroke and fill correctly
(Win) Layer / Blend modes list fixed to scroll with arrow keys
(Win) Linked afphoto file shows wrong DPI when modified
(Win) Pan Tool cursor persisted after using <Space> / Pan

Text
Fixed crash after editing text styles if changes caused pinned objects to move between spreads
Option to preserve Text Frame width when changing Column Gutter in the context toolbar
Double click multi-word selection could leave the original word not selected
Fixed handling of local objects pinned to master page text when subsequently unpinned
Improved line breaking for ideographic languages
(Mac) Fixed shortcuts for backspace key
(Mac) Fixed Text entry issue in separated mode with multiple documents
(Win) Chinese Font names now show in Chinese
(Win) Character Panel - Font Category changes after changing font or deselecting object

Preflight
Fix for stale preflight results persisting when Pages are removed

Import / Export
XLSX Import - Fixed hang with cells with gradient fills
IDML Import -  Better handling of master page items with overridden properties
PDF Import - Improved handling when importing password restricted PDFs
PDF Import - Import now allows creation of Art Text if 'Group lines of Text into Text Frames' is switched off
PDF Import - Import now provides fallback if the used font doesn't define space
PDF Import - Fixed text positioning which could be incorrect due to spaces being treated as tabs under certain conditions
PDF Import - Fall through to alternative mappings when importing text, if necessary
PDF Export - Better support for RGBA16 and RGBAUF images
SVG Import - 'ClosePath' doesn't have to be followed by a 'Move'
SVG Import - Now treats gradients with one stop as solid fills
SVG Import - Other fixes for specific files, including malformed files
SVG Export - Fixed source of numeric overflow causing curves to be exported incorrectly in some cases

Further fixes, made since the release of 1.8.3, are listed in earlier 1.8.4 betas

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

(Mac) File > Edit in Designer and File > Edit in Photo customisable shortcuts missing

Am I correct in assuming that these two items will remain be greyed out until such time as we have Mac 1.8.4.x beta builds of AP & AD to test with?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
13 hours ago, R C-R said:

Am I correct in assuming that these two items will remain be greyed out until such time as we have Mac 1.8.4.x beta builds of AP & AD to test with?

We don't check the 'patch' version, i.e. third field, so any 1.8.x.x (Beta) should be OK. Are the options not available for you?

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

We don't check the 'patch' version, i.e. third field, so any 1.8.x.x (Beta) should be OK. Are the options not available for you?

I had deleted the 1.8.3 beta versions of AP & AD because they were not usable after the retail 1.8.3 versions (both originally bought from the Mac App Store) were installed -- if I tried to launch them after that, I got the screen asking for a valid product key, which obviously I do not have, & unlike what that that screen says it is impossible to download the beta from the MAS.

Just to test this with the APub 1.8.4 beta, I downloaded & installed the Designer Customer Beta (1.8.3.2 - Release Candidate) again. That does enable the File > Edit in Designer... item in the APub 1.8.4 beta, but of course I can't actually run the AD beta because I get the same screen asking for a product key.

Since AFAIK once that screen appears there is nothing I can do besides quit the old AD beta, there is no way to return the document to the APub beta, meaning any unsaved changes made in the APub beta would be lost. That makes the File menu option in the APub beta worse than just being greyed out (which of course it always is if the old AD beta is no longer installed)!!!

Does that make sense?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Same situation here. It seems that the Mac users have been heft behind in terms of updates to Photo and Designer as opposed to windows users.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

29 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Same situation here. It seems that the Mac users have been heft behind in terms of updates to Photo and Designer as opposed to windows users.

Indeed. I don't know about anybody else but for me one of the reasons I so often want to work on a document in APub instead of directly in AD or AP is so I can use its Designer & Photo personas without having to launch those apps, & if necessary 'round trip' it via the 'Edit in' options to access features those APub personas do not offer. So as it is now, I my incentive to test this beta is greatly diminished vs. what it will be once (hopefully) I can test it with compatible AD & AP betas.

That said, I was a bit surprised & pleased that (so far at least) I have been able to open documents edited or created in this APub beta in the Mac 1.8.3 retail releases of AD & AP, as long as I first save the document from within the APub beta. So in that respect at least, we have not been completely left behind.

Affinity Photo 

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So as it is now, I my incentive to test this beta is greatly diminished vs. what it will be once (hopefully) I can test it with compatible AD & AP betas.

The Personas (Photo, Designer) in Publisher should work as long as you have the Photo and Designer betas installed, even if those betas themselves won't run (and even if Edit in ... won't work).

If you deleted the betas when the last retail came out you may be out of luck, but next time don't delete them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The Personas (Photo, Designer) in Publisher should work as long as you have the Photo and Designer betas installed,

I can confirm that the latest Publisher beta does indeed work as expected contrary to what I said upstream.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The Personas (Photo, Designer) in Publisher should work as long as you have the Photo and Designer betas installed, even if those betas themselves won't run (and even if Edit in ... won't work).

If you deleted the betas when the last retail came out you may be out of luck, but next time don't delete them.

Because I did delete them, I am out of luck as far as accessing the two other personas. And there is still the issue of not being able to recover from using 'Edit in' after I reinstall any available Mac AD or AP beta to get back to APub to save any unsaved work. I think this would still apply even if I had never deleted the old betas, so I think 'Edit in' should always be greyed out until there are compatible betas available regardless of what Mac users have or have not deleted.

Part of the problem is that the old Mac betas won't run because they ask for either a product key or for users to download a beta from the Mac App Store. The first one doesn't work (because there are no product keys for MAS purchases) & the second one isn't possible (because there are no betas available from the MAS).

25 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I can confirm that the latest Publisher beta does indeed work as expected contrary to what I said upstream.

Do you still have the old 1.8.3 betas installed? If so, what works for you, the two other personas, Edit in, or both?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Do you still have the old 1.8.3 betas installed? If so, what works for you, the two other personas, Edit in, or both?

Yes, I have both betas installed and both personas work from Publisher personas buttons.

File->Edit in Designer, File->Edit in Photo launches the respective beta versions of the programs asking to register. So this doesn't work.

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

We will have to put some thought into this as it isn't satisfactory.

Personally, I would rather see that effort put into making 1.8.4.x Mac AD & AP betas available for testing, but I understand that may be more difficult than figuring out how to validate the 1.8.3 versions.

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.