You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.3 freezing when opening fontbase.

I use Fontbase and I like to not have it come on at start up so it doesn't slow my computer down. But if I forget  to start it before I open Publisher, Publisher has a fit.  It will "not respond", be frozen, flash in and out like it's refreshing for each and every font that I have active.  I have to open task manager to kill Publisher, start Fontbase and open Publisher again.  Then it works just fine. It works fine if I have Fontbase come on in start up and then open Publisher as well. 

• Staff

Hi @Tranquil Lens,

What is your workflow inside Fontbase? Do you have all the fonts inactive and active them all when you open the app? How many fonts do you have active/inactive?

Publisher loads new fonts on the fly, so if you try to activate thousands of fonts with the app already started, it might become slow/ unresponsive until it caches all the fonts you've only just added. As far as I can tell, font base activates fonts in batches of 20 with a slight delay, so until that finishes and publisher catches up with everything, there's not much we can do. 

10 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Tranquil Lens,

What is your workflow inside Fontbase? Do you have all the fonts inactive and active them all when you open the app? How many fonts do you have active/inactive?

Publisher loads new fonts on the fly, so if you try to activate thousands of fonts with the app already started, it might become slow/ unresponsive until it caches all the fonts you've only just added. As far as I can tell, font base activates fonts in batches of 20 with a slight delay, so until that finishes and publisher catches up with everything, there's not much we can do. 

Hi Gabe, 

I have usually have one notebook of 39 pages open, barely any graphics and the normal windows fonts are there, but then I activate about 280 when I start up Fontbase.  I have upwards of 8000 total.  Usually publisher just ends up freezing. When I open my task manager it is not moving at all.  I just kill it and open it again after I have fontbase open. Just wanted to bring it to your attention as a bug. Or maybe it's just me. :) 

• Staff

I've just tried it now with the build in google Fons. (2600 odd). It did not freeze, but was slow until it finished caching. If you leave yours in that non-responding state (5 min for example) does it come back to life? 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I've just tried it now with the build in google Fons. (2600 odd). It did not freeze, but was slow until it finished caching. If you leave yours in that non-responding state (5 min for example) does it come back to life? 

It did work after I let it sit for a little bit!  Not without giving me the "not responding" and this screen, but it did work!

image.png.e3156e0ec99147ee66e5d456bc08d983.png