You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change language settings for local HELP docs?

I do not know how it works for the Windows versions but for the Mac versions, the language for the local help docs (among other things) is set in System Preferences > Language & Region

I tried to upload an image of that window but got the dreaded -200 error. I will try that again later but in the meantime how it works is you can set several "Preferred languages" in the list on the left side of the window. Whichever is the topmost one is the "primary" language, which will be used to display help topics, menus, dialogs, etc.

It is a 'global' setting, at least as far as help topics are concerned.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm on a Mac. I understand what you mean… I have my first preferred Language “Spanish” on that setting. And “English” is the second one.

I prefer do not touch this, since it's a global setting, for the entire system. And there are lot of situations, with other apps, where I need Spanish to be my main/preferred language…

Well, since we have the online help, in English, I will use that, better.

Thanks again! 🙂

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

5 minutes ago, Cristobal Vila said:

I prefer do not touch this, since it's a global setting, for the entire system. And there are lot of situations, with other apps, where I need Spanish to be my main/preferred language…

I can understand why you would not want to change that. However, there is a way to display the local help topics in English without doing that, but it is a bit of a hack. It is probably not something that you would find useful, but it works like this:

In Finder, navigate to the appropriate index.html file in the Affinity application package. This involves right-clicking on the app & choosing "Show Package Contents," opening the Contents/Resources folder, locating the help bundle file & right-clicking on that to use "Show Package Contents" again, & finally locating the index.html file in that!

So for example, for AP the full file path would be

/Applications/Affinity Photo.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityPhoto.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/index.html

Since it is just an html file, if you double-click on it, it will open in the default browser, probably for most Mac users Safari. What you get is (I think!) identical to the online version, except that all links are to the local files. Adding a browser bookmark would make it easily available whenever you wanted to see the local English language version, for example if for some reason you can't access the online one.

It should work for all languages, so it might also be useful as a quick way to compare different local versions in separate browser windows or tabs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

I, too, would like to change the Help language locally. While my Mac system is set to Italian, and I appreciate that Serif did translate the apps and support files into my language, I also work in an international environment. My Affinity apps are therefore set into English, and when looking for help for a command I have to look for it in the English Help. It would be great if I could open the Help file matching the app's UI language.

Paolo

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

It would be great if I could open the Help file matching the app's UI language.

You probably can, with your web browser, by navigating to the Help files that are installed with the product. I can't help you find them, as I'm on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You probably can, with your web browser, by navigating to the Help files that are installed with the product.

Yes, indeed it can be done, and made permanent (until the next update).

1. Locate the app icon, and right-click on it. Choose the Show Packege Content command.

2. Go to Contents > Resources > AffinityPublisher.help > Contents > Resources.

3. Rename "it.lproj" to something like "it_.lproj". Duplicate "en-US.lproj", and rename it to "it.lproj".

Done. The Italian help now speaks English, with a Bostonian accent.

Paolo

50 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

and made permanent (until the next update).

Thanks. It can probably be made permanent by creating a browser bookmark, rather than using the Help menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

it can be done, and made permanent (until the next update).

You should not be doing this unless you 100% know and understand what you are doing and what the consequences can be.

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It can probably be made permanent by creating a browser bookmark

That's definitely the way to go:

file:///Applications/Affinity%20Designer.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/index.html
file:///Applications/Affinity%20Photo.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/index.html
file:///Applications/Affinity%20Publisher.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/index.html

Or to put it another way:

I'm not a guy who's scared of tinkering with MacOS on pretty low levels, but I definitely don't change internal directory paths of my mission critical applications.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2