You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

transformation origin

Why is there a transformation origin point who does nothing? Take this circle as an example. The origin is activated and in the center. Yet when I take an edge and change its size, proportional or otherwise, it does not change from the center but from the opposite edge?

affinity designer 1.8.3 on Mac Mojave

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-05 um 10.27.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-05 um 10.27.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-05 um 10.30.58.png

27 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

Why is there a transformation origin point who does nothing? Take this circle as an example. The origin is activated and in the center. Yet when I take an edge and change its size, proportional or otherwise, it does not change from the center but from the opposite edge?

affinity designer 1.8.3 on Mac Mojave

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-05 um 10.27.23.png

Good question. I guess it is named not according to what it actually does. It's more of a rotation center. If you move it and then rotate you will notice that it rotates around this origin.

If you want to change the with of an object around its midpoint then you have to press CTRL (on PC, I think its Command on the Mac).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

46 minutes ago, Arceom said:

It's for the Point Transform Tool, shortcut F; also for the Transform Panel

Thanks, this is true. But still it seems a bit unclear with the naming of the Move Tool.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

On 5/5/2020 at 5:03 AM, dominik said:

change the with of an object around its midpoint then you have to press CTRL (on PC, I think its Command on the Mac).

It is command on the Mac.  It will resize around the transformation origin instead of the center when the transformation origin is visible.

Same with shear: holding down command shears around the transformation origin when it is visible, or the center when it is not.

21 minutes ago, fde101 said:

It is command on the Mac.  It will resize around the transformation origin instead of the center when the transformation origin is visible.

Thanks for confirming. But I think transformation around the origin works wether the origin is visible or not. Is this different on the Mac?

d. 

1 hour ago, dominik said:

But I think transformation around the origin works wether the origin is visible or not. Is this different on the Mac?

If the other platform is behaving that way, then evidently so.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:21 PM, dominik said:

Thanks for confirming. But I think transformation around the origin works wether the origin is visible or not. Is this different on the Mac?

d. 

On a Mac:

If the TO is visible, rotation is around the TO and cmd enables scaling and shearing/skewing around the TO.

If the TO is not visible, rotation is around the centre of the object's bounding box and cmd enables scaling and shearing/skewing around the centre of the object's bounding box.

Essentially, a visible TO overrides an object's default origin for rotation, scaling and shearing/skewing.

22 hours ago, fde101 said:

Same with shear: holding down command shears around the transformation origin when it is visible, or the center when it is not.

Okay, right, seems it really needs to also hold command on Mac then it really zooms from the point set. But that is what I always say - why have things to be so hard in Affinitys Software. Its the same with so many things, they do not work intuitively, its always too complicated. Like in this case, when you set that origin point you kind of just expect it to work. What is the point when you change its position but that does not change any behaviour. Its just bad GUI.

• 1 year later...