You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good afternoon, all! I am sure this has been asked before so if anyone has a link that I cannot seem to locate, I would appreciate it. I am attempting to make simple designs in Designer for export as an SVG to then upload to Cricut Design Space. I have attached a file with a simple example. I am wondering what the steps would be to do a couple things:

1. Have overlapping parts of the layers be negative space in what is behind it. An example would be the text in the attached file. If I am cutting vinyl and want everything to be on the same plane, I need the words cut out of what is behind it so the words can fit inside of it.

2. When uploading the file into Cricut Design Space, instead of the outline of the circle I have created (3 of them), Design Space fills in the circles with the associated color. I want just the outline of the shape and not the fill. Any idea what I am doing wrong? 

I am using the file as an example of what I would try to do because I am assuming that whatever I do with any other sort of shape would lead to the same results. If I just want an outline of a given shape, why doesn't Cricut recognize it as it was drawn? Thanks for any help you can provide. even if it is a link or such pointing me to another resource. 

AnyTextOverShapes.afdesign

2 hours ago, edb309 said:

1. Have overlapping parts of the layers be negative space in what is behind it. An example would be the text in the attached file. If I am cutting vinyl and want everything to be on the same plane, I need the words cut out of what is behind it so the words can fit inside of it.

1. Right click on the group layer and select ungroup
  2. Select all of the letters and use Layer > Geometry: Add to make a single curves layer
  3. Select the “caramel” layer and use Layer > Expand Stroke
  4. Make sure the letters layer and the expanded stroke layer are both selected and use Layer > Geometry : Subtract

The letters should be punched out of the expanded stroke layer.

2 hours ago, edb309 said:

2. When uploading the file into Cricut Design Space, instead of the outline of the circle I have created (3 of them), Design Space fills in the circles with the associated color. I want just the outline of the shape and not the fill. Any idea what I am doing wrong? 

Change the stroke to a fill by using Layer Expand Stroke, you can then remove the fill and add a small black stroke to highlight it.

AnyTextOverShapes - edited.afdesign Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel to see the process.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you very much! I do see how the words are punched out of the caramel layer. which makes them a transparent item. How would I make them cut out of the circle but also have a layer that includes the words in blue, same size, same location? Sorry if I am asking a ton of questions.

6 minutes ago, edb309 said:

Thank you very much! I do see how the words are punched out of the caramel layer. which makes them a transparent item. How would I make them cut out of the circle but also have a layer that includes the words in blue, same size, same location? Sorry if I am asking a ton of questions.

Just duplicate the group with the blue text shape before  step 1.

1201680597_ScreenShot2020-05-04at21_47_46.png.fc0992678f2f98284e63b756c809dc7d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You’re welcome, I think there are a few people on here that use Affinity with Cricut Design Space.

I see that there are. I really like the idea of being able to make my own stuff and branch out and away from the world of printing "Thankful" on everything I own. I like the Cricut machine I bought so far. Without knowing too much about it though, my initial impressions of "Cricut Design Space" is that it seems like hot garbage.

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @AmyJay,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please see the below FAQ regarding exporting documents for Cricut Design Space - 

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)