You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.3.4. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or if it's a bug. I highlight two layers to merge together, then I go up to the "Layers" menu and the option to "merge selected" is grayed out. Also if I select one layer and go to the menu option to "merge down" is also great out. The only merge option accessible is "merge visible". Any info is greatly appreciated.

post-4189-0-77505000-1438017615_thumb.png

If I had a masked layer, grouped layer, etc. and I selected any other layer with or without masks,groupings, never worked.

Yes, you are right. Though the menu item is not grayed out in these cases, merging does not seem to work … obviously we have to rasterise the layers in these cases as well …  :unsure:

Thank you! I just assumed like in other image editors as long as the images were of a simple format like .png, .jpg etc. when added to a layer that they were were already rasterized. After rasterize in each image I can now merge selections. Basic images added to the other image editors I used just by dragging and dropping the image into the new document allow me to merge selections without having to rasterize first. Again, thank you very much for the reply and help. :)

• 6 years later...
50 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Maybe I don´t understand the question:

MergeSelected.gif.28558ab8dc4f1400f28c6dff87657839.gif

Hi Pixelpest, thanks for replying.

Yeah so I'm in AP and its a group of vectors so it's greyed out to merge selected so I select them all and then right click rasterized but for some reason it only turns the top one to pixel layer and leaves the others as curves shapes, is there a way to select a whole group of curves and rasterize them all to make one shape or flatten them all to one pixel layer somehow.

Phil

24 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Here it doesn´t make any difference wether I select one by one or a group - rasterize will flatten it in one go.

If I have two vectors (say, rectangles) and I Group them, then yes, Rasterize will rasterize both at once.

However, if they are ungrouped, and I merely select both of them, then right-click and choose Rasterize, only one of them is rasterized.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Here it doesn´t make any difference wether I select one by one or a group - rasterize will flatten it in one go.

It does here. Like Walt said, if I select the group layer Rasterize will flatten the group into a single pixel layer. But if I select two or more vector layers in the group, Rasterize only flattens one of them. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7