You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS-File opening VERY SLOW + high RAM usage [AP and AD]

I have a EPS-File from depositphotos.com which takes around 3-5 minutes to open (file size around 3MB).

After it's opened, AP/AD takes around 4 GB of RAM. It seems that there are a lot of layers, which are not really handled well from AP/AD. The EPS-File is commerical, I cannot upload it here. Where can I report a private bug?

The problem appears in AP and AD on Windows 10.

• Staff

Hey Chris13123,

No worries. I got the file and opened it. 

My mid-spec WIndows machine opened it in 70 seconds. It was using 4.7GB RAM. I did notice a slight performance hit with the file open.

My 2017 iMac opened it in 20 seconds. It was using about 5GB RAM. The Mac seemed to handle this document being open without much of an issue.

I was getting nowhere near 3-5 minutes. 

I then tried it in Photoshop and it opened instantly but that's because Photoshop was forcing the eps into a raster layer. This seems to be a known thing with the version I have. I'll do some digging. 

I suspect that what is happening is that we are converting the patterns and meshes into thousands of objects and this is why it is taking a long time to open.

• Staff
5 hours ago, Chris13123 said:

Does ist matter if it takes 70 seconds or 3 minutes? ;)

I think that depends on how many objects are being created from the patterns and meshes. I think 20 seconds on my Mac is acceptable considering how many objects it makes but 3-5 minutes isn't great and I can see why you would be fed up.

Like I said, Photoshop just rasterises the layer and opens it instantly which is pretty useless if something needs to be edited but great if you need to quickly print it etc.

I've asked the developers to look at it and see what could be improved.