You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I bought all three affinity applications and I use a dual boot PC. I would like to use the software on both boot configurations.

Do I need to buy a second license for my second boot configuration or can I use the same license (it is the same computer and it is impossible to use it at the same time)

Thanks for any help... Love the software.. 

Rudi

3 hours ago, Rudi Jetten said:

I bought all three affinity applications and I use a dual boot PC. I would like to use the software on both boot configurations.

Assuming that

1. You purchased directly from Serif via the Affinity Store, and
  2. Either both boot configurations are supported versions of MacOS, or both are supported versions of Windows, then

your license is good for both configurations. If those assumptions are not correct, please provide more details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Assuming that

1. You purchased directly from Serif via the Affinity Store, and
  2. Either both boot configurations are supported versions of MacOS, or both are supported versions of Windows, then

your license is good for both configurations. If those assumptions are not correct, please provide more details.

Would it not be the same no matter how he bought it? Be it the Windows App store, Mac App Store or Affinity Website? As long as it is the same OS he should have no issue. 

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

Would it not be the same no matter how he bought it? Be it the Windows App store, Mac App Store or Affinity Website? As long as it is the same OS he should have no issue. 

No, and I didn't want to try to get into all the permutations. But, since you asked:

• Assuming both boot configurations are Windows 10, it would work if the programs were purchased from the Windows Store, as long as the same user signs on to the store from both configurations. But as the Windows Store versions only work on Windows 10, it would not work if purchased from the Windows Store and one of the boot configurations was Windows 7 or 8/8.1.
  • If purchased from the Mac App Store I suspect it would work with different versions of MacOS on the different boot configurations, but I can't say that for sure.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, and I didn't want to try to get into all the permutations. But, since you asked:

• Assuming both boot configurations are Windows 10, it would work if the programs were purchased from the Windows Store, as long as the same user signs on to the store from both configurations. But as the Windows Store versions only work on Windows 10, it would not work if purchased from the Windows Store and one of the boot configurations was Windows 7 or 8/8.1.
  • If purchased from the Mac App Store I suspect it would work with different versions of MacOS on the different boot configurations, but I can't say that for sure.

Good points, I had just assumed it would be similar to how Apple has done it with their app store. 

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As long as the user is signed into the Mac App Store using the same Apple ID in each configuration, it should work.

It also should be possible to set up the Mac App Store application preferences in each boot configuration to automatically download apps purchased on 'other Mac computers,' which I think would also work  because each boot volume would in effect be a different Mac.

So considering all the stores & both platforms there are indeed a lot of permutations to consider!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Rudi Jetten said:

Dual boot configurations are both W10..

I'm curious, if you don't mind indulging me: Why use dual-boot for two copies of the same OS?

-- Walt
PC: