You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just discovered that when using the “Frame Text Tool” (which is really nice by the way) you can not drag and drop a file of type “.textClipping” into the object rectangle.

It gives the message “File type is not supported”.

AD should have the ability to allow a drag and drop into any “Frame Text” object as text clippings are a pretty long standing file format on every Mac.

Obviously one can drag the text clipping into any TextEdit or Mail window then do a copy and paste the text from there into a text frame in AD to get the same results.

Any chance of supporting this file type as above in the future?

I also just checked to see if I could use drag and drop to drag an “.rtf” file onto a text frame and that works perfectly. Nice. I you can handle ”.rtf” file “.textClipping” files should be a piece of cake.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Andy,

Text clippings have been a Mac standard for probably 10+ years now.

If you are not aware of them here is how you can create one.

1. Find any block of text like from a TextEdit document, web page, email, etc.

2. Select the text you would like to keep.

3. Click and hold the cursor in the highlighted text for a second or so then drag the selected text onto the desktop and release the mouse.

That’s it. You will see an icon appear on the desktop that has the lower right corner turned up. This is a text clipping. You can double click on it from the finder to view it without opening any application. The Finder knows them well.

You can drag and drop text clippings into or onto any text type document like TextEdit or Pages, Mail, Word or whatever and the text will instantly appear in the document.

Text clippings are a great way to save tidbits of information you run across for use at some future time. I have tons of them, mostly for quotes, etc.

Try it and you will see. Seems like it shouldn’t be any more difficult to include than adding the specification for the file type “.textClipping” just as you probably already do for type “.rtf”.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Text Clippings can also contain text and images. Virtually about anything you can select from a document, of any kind that will allow you to select text, including this very web page and then drag it to the desktop. There will be some exceptions. For instance I selected the above two forum entries and dragged them to the desktop. There was some minor format loss but the content was saved. The individual photo images were not.

I use it for saving certain content that I want to drop into emails or for anything I would like to keep like quotes, etc. for later use. Sometimes I will drop them into something like Textedit, clean them up, change font size, color, etc. then drag the cleaned up version to the desktop as a Text Clipping and toss the original. You can also rename them. Creating one will typically name them base upon the first bits of text selected.

Everyone here should now know how to create “Text Clippings” and drop them into content of a document. Except for the current version of Affinity Designer. But hey, They couldn’t include something they were unaware of, right? But now they have no excuse.

Max

An interesting find during working with a drawing that had lots of text blocks. I would duplicate one block thereby maintaining the same font and size by simply dragging off duplicates holding down the “option” key before dragging.

Now, select the text block you wish to modify with the move tool, press the letter “t“ on the keyboard and that will insert the text tool insertion point at the front of the text and do a “command-a” to select all the text then just start typing. When finished press the “Escape” key and your back with the “Move Tool” and ready for the next text block you want to modify. Nice short cuts.

All this take about three seconds and you do not even have to go to the tool bar.

Max

Raskolnikov, are you aware of the Frame text Tool, on the same flyout button as the Art text Tool? Text frames wrap text inside a box, with alignment options. We add a text ruler in due course, possibly as highlighted portion of the existing ruler.

Silly me, i haven't realised yet, hopefully you show me the way :D

Thanks!!