You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting to SVG for Cricut not working

I am creating an a simple design to use for my Cricut machine. I would like to export this as an SVG so it keeps all the layers. I found this tutorial and wasn't able to get the same results when using my own design. It works perfectly if I create a box and text just like in the video, but my design does not include text. 

I have taken two shapes and merged them together by first grouping them and then rasertizing them. I then made a new layer with a new shape on top of the raserized shape and then grouped those together. Then I followed the same steps as in the video and have not been able to get it to work in Cricut. I'm not entirely certain the way I'm exporting is correct. 

1. Is there a better way to merge shapes in Affinity Design than the way I described above? 
  2. Is the fact that I have a rasterized image the source of my problem?

If anyone is familiar enough with AD for Mac and using it in conjunction with Cricut I could use your help. I'm not a designer and I'm just attempting my first forays into using this program for simple Cricut designs. 

Did you already followed their advices there for what's unsupported, especially in the SVG context?

Option 2 – Vector Image Upload:

1. Select the .svg or .dxf file you want to upload. Then select Open in the file selector, or drag and drop the file into the Design Space image upload window. Tip: Design Space can work with files created from other design software. The files can include solid colors or solid color fills, outlined text, or layers. However, if you use a layered image, you should ensure that in the original file the layers are ungrouped.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I can’t see the logic in grouping and then rasterising two merged shapes. Is there a specific reason why you are rasterising the two merged shapes?

Take a screenshot of what you are creating with the layers panel in view, or, upload the projects afdesign file so we can look at it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi @blueydgiglr,

Welcome to the forums :) 

Please see the below FAQ on exporting for CriCut-

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@firstdefence I only did it this way because I couldn't figure out how to merge the shapes. I did eventually figure it out so I'm able to export an SVG and have it open in Cricut's Design Space. However, I want one of my shapes to just be lines and, for some reason, it exports it as a square. My ultimate goal is to create files that can be used in Cricut the same way Cricut does. They are able to create projects that will have each layer do something different. For example, if one layer is supposed to be cut and then something else needs to score it's part of the file. 

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @cmak20,

On 5/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, Dan C said:

Welcome to the forums :) 

Please see the below FAQ on exporting for CriCut-

I hope this helps!

If you're still having trouble after following this, please create a new thread - providing as much information as possible regarding your document and the issue you're experiencing.

Many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

The only 'error' in the instructions posted above by @Dan C is

• We advise that you export to SVG using the default settings

This will import the SVG at the incorrect size, you need to uncheck Set viewBox from the More options prior to exporting to SVG for the SVG to be imported at the correct size in Cricut because the Affinity suite currently fails to adopt user units when exporting to SVG.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Thanks for the info, I've updated the FAQ to suit :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi @Tomeka Brown and welcome to the forums.

Maybe convert to curve can help.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

56 minutes ago, Tomeka Brown said:

I'm creating simple text svg's and they won't open in Cricut or Silhouette. is there a tutorial that will show how to export SVGs that includes showing ALL settings?

Possibly this FAQ answer will help:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Tomeka Brown said:

I'm creating simple text svg's and they won't open in Cricut or Silhouette. is there a tutorial that will show how to export SVGs that includes showing ALL settings?

I think it’s like @Komatös said, you need to convert the text to vectors before importing them to Cricut. To make the life easier it’s also a good idea to make the shapes you want cut together “compound paths” (Boolean operation “Add”) (but you’re probably well aware of this). All the best!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

1 hour ago, Tomeka Brown said:

Note that you can simply select the Export Text as Curves option under More in the SVG Export window. This means you don't need to use Layer > Convert to Curves prior to exporting to SVG if you want to maintain editable text in your source AD Document.

As @walt.farrell referenced above you will need a 72dpi SVG file, certainly for Cricut (unsure about Silhouette). Again you can select Use DPI in the More options and enter 72dpi when exporting even if your source document is 300 dpi which means you don't need to start with a 72dpi document or edit to 72dpi as both options are available under More. The benefit being you can set up a 300dpi document without the need to convert your text to curves should you also want to use your source document for other purposes, e.g., print...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse