You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error editing in Affinity from Photos

I've been using this period of isolation to go back to old photos and using Affinity to improve them but most of the time I get an error message. My work flow is:

Open Photos (on my Mac), choose photo to edit, choose the option to "Edit in Affinity Photo", edit my photo (usually haze removal filter and levels adjustment), Close, Save. This takes you back to Photos and I click on Save Changes. Most of the time a get a message saying Unable to "Edit in Affinity Photo" An unexpected error occurred.

If I simply choose Haze Removal from the Photos edit menu I never have any problems.

Any thoughts whether this is a workflow problem or a bug?

Although it appears to work for you occasionally I wonder if the issue might be related to the way macOS "cares" for security the folder ~/Users/yourusername/Pictures/

Does it allow you to open/save an image with AP from/to a folder exterior of "Pictures"?

Also, what macOS version? And in what app, where exactly, do you see the option "Edit in Affinity Photo" ?
Can you post screenshots of your entire screen with this edit option and with the error message?

Have you ever been asked to allow access for AP with a message like this:

645427263_macOSphotorechte.jpg.a05eb55bbcad2c5e5146a828c442cc25.jpg

The particular ability with "Hazel Removal" might be related to your setting in macOS System Preferences ... which may give access to certain functions of AP:

111861266_macOSphotoerweiterungen.jpg.862abc9f92dd2a4bfdf3ba8b7ba42521.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, longitude said:

Any thoughts whether this is a workflow problem or a bug?

It sounds like you are experiencing the same bug with Edit in Affinity Photos extension that has been reported in several threads in this forum and In the bugs in Affinity Photo forum (Mac OS). Not all users are affected. It also does not seem to affect extensions such as Haze Removal. Affinity Develop also has reported problems for raw photos. 

Thanks rhmb. It's reassuring that I am not alone in experiencing this behaviour so hopefully there might be a fix at some time in the future. My next question about editing in Affinity is how I can export my edited photos directly to my Photos app library.

1 hour ago, longitude said:

My next question about editing in Affinity is how I can export my edited photos directly to my Photos app library.

As mentioned above you need to allow that the app may get access, here is another macOS setting you would activate:

450575876_macOSsecurityphotoapp.thumb.jpg.9434a64f233c42b70ab75314f881282d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1