You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: swap two objects position (via key command)

I would see only advantages in a function, that would allow me to swap the position of 2 objects. They don't even need to be the same dimensions. They don't even need to be the same type (image, group, font...). 

For a flyer I am arranging lots of objects. In my case images, that all have the same size. And I have to arrange them in a grid layout.
Now I really "waste" a massive amount of time by moving them into the correct positions. Checking how the images look, if I swap 2 images - e.g. one pic from 5th row/2nd column to 1st row/ 6th column and the other pcitures vice versa.

It would genius, to just select two objects and hit a command key and they will be swapped.
It would save soo much time instead of dragging and hoping that snapping works fine. And that Publisher orientates on the adjacents objects correctly. Be

For me: the fastes way (because of using shortcuts) is:
cmd+c object1 - I wanna move from A-to-B
cmd+v and move the duplicate of object1 to B - it's correct position (above object2), then
cmd+x the duplicate, to see object2 again
select and move object2 to the position of the old object1
cmd+v to get get the duplicate of object1
and do the same cmd+x, delete,cmd+v stuff for getting rid of the old object1 and having object 2 only

I miss this option since years, when I started working with Affinity Designer.

Thanks in advance!!!
Schubi

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-03 um 13.01.40.jpg

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

5 hours ago, Schubi63 said:

It would genius, to just select two objects and hit a command key and they will be swapped.
It would save soo much time instead of dragging and hoping that snapping works fine. And that Publisher orientates on the adjacents objects correctly. Be

I agree that it would be great to have the Swap Two Positions ability but I am sure it is a non-trivial programming challenge.

In the meantime, seeing as how you are using Publisher, try setting up a grid using the Guides Manager. View > Guides Manager... and then setting your snapping options as follows.

1687434064_ScreenShot2020-05-03at9_46_12AM.png.6e92e5ab78b90c96953ab1df2dd97040.png

1158242294_ScreenShot2020-05-03at9_46_27AM.png.7fbd5a7088feeac938ad613c3d6d46de.png

You may find it easier to use Outline instead of Filled for the Guides.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

but I am sure it is a non-trivial programming challenge.

... for very few happy users :-) 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 hours ago, Schubi63 said:

For a flyer I am arranging lots of objects. In my case images, that all have the same size. And I have to arrange them in a grid layout.
Now I really "waste" a massive amount of time by moving them into the correct positions. Checking how the images look, if I swap 2 images - e.g. one pic from 5th row/2nd column to 1st row/ 6th column and the other pcitures vice versa.

Swapping 2 images around like those laid out in your screenshot would be relatively easy in a macro.

So, if you have APhoto you could just switch to the Photo persona in Publisher and do the swapping there via the macro.

Logging off now for the night but if you need a macro to do this then let me know and I'll have a look tomorrow for you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I agree that it would be great to have the Swap Two Positions ability but I am sure it is a non-trivial programming challenge.

I would say it's copying 2 (x/y) values and replacing them ;)

But maybe I will invest the time to create the guides - thanks Bruce

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

54 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Swapping 2 images around like those laid out in your screenshot would be relatively easy in a macro.

So, if you have APhoto you could just switch to the Photo persona in Publisher and do the swapping there via the macro.

Logging off now for the night but if you need a macro to do this then let me know and I'll have a look tomorrow for you

Hi carl. I have APhoto too ... but: I would never swap the content of a files with correct naming ("James-PortraitXY",  "Marie-PortraitshootXY) - that makes no sense at all and would confuse not only me! Additionally I'm linking to original files in Publisher.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

👨‍🎨: "I miss this option since years,..."
🤓"...but I am sure it is a non-trivial programming challenge."
👨‍✈️: "... for very few happy users"

I miss it since years, too. (Though I'd use it in very few projects per year).
It seems neither simplicity nor number of users are relevant for a feature decision:

https://affinity.serif.com/de/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/390003719/

These Smart Masters look indeed appealing + impressive. (Though I can't imagine yet a project to really use it)
However, if swapping of ALL objects and as placeholders made it to get programmed, a swap of just 2 concrete objects might be worth, too. 😎

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

20 minutes ago, thomaso said:

However, if swapping of ALL objects and as placeholders made it to get programmed, a swap of just 2 concrete objects might be worth, too.

Respectfully, this is really something that a macros should do as @carl123 remarked upstream. Hopefully, in not so distant future, we'll get a way automate Affinity apps.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

19 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Respectfully, this is really something that a macros should do as @carl123 remarked upstream. Hopefully, in not so distant future, we'll get a way automate Affinity apps.

Thanks Seneca. But as I answered @carl123 already: I don't see this suggestion as a solution:
1.) I would never alter the contend of client files, especially not by swapping the content of thoses files. ("James-PortraitXY" with "Marie-PortraitshootXY ?!) - that makes no sense at all and would confuse not only me!
2.) I'm creating a layout consisting of links to original image files in Publisher.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

1 minute ago, Schubi63 said:

1.) I would never alter the contend of client files, especially not by swapping the content of thoses files. ("James-PortraitXY" with "Marie-PortraitshootXY ?!) - that makes no sense at all and would confuse not only me!

I really don't understand what you mean by that

Aren't we just talking about swapping the position of 2 objects on the screen - not altering any contents of any file?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I really don't understand what you mean by that

Aren't we just talking about swapping the position of 2 objects on the screen - not altering any contents of any file?

Only the position, right!
Then obviously I misunderstood you - by thinking you meant to record (create a macro) to copy/replace the content of 2 images

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

@carl123 to be honest, I'm to stupid to create a macro that swappes me the position of two selected objects

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Ok here's a quickly made macro and a test document (both attached)

Open the test document in Publisher, switch to the Photo persona in Publisher, load the macro in the macro panel

To use, just select any two objects either on screen or in the Layers panel and run the macro - they will flip positions

squares.afpub flip two positions.afmacro

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Open the test document in Publisher, switch to the Photo persona in Publisher, load the macro in the macro panel

To use, just select any two objects either on screen or in the Layers panel and run the macro - they will flip positions

squares.afpub 103.46 kB · 2 downloads flip two positions.afmacro 882 B · 1 download

Heureka! Thanks @carl123 !!! It works fine.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Thank you! – Interesting idea for this swap not to deal with coordinates at all.

Just a pity that StudioLink ignores "Transform Objects Separately"; it would avoid the hierarchical layer change.

2077892288_transformobjectsseparatelytoolbar.jpg.954376410efc81abb4af94be6e2ff2a5.jpg

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Thank you! – Interesting idea for this swap not to deal with coordinates at all.

Yes, initially I thought it was going to take a lot of work swapping the x/y coordinates in a macro but in the end, it turned into one of the simplest macros I have done for such a seemingly difficult task.

it would avoid the hierarchical layer change.

Yes, that's due to the initial grouping of the 2 layers.

There may be another way to do it, without grouping, and thus avoid the hierarchical layer change but I have not looked into that any further at the moment

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

it would avoid the hierarchical layer change.

Yes, that's due to the initial grouping of the 2 layers.

...or rather due to the lack of maintaining original layer hierarchy when un-grouping 😉

Indesign had a user created script called Equalizer: http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2016/10/equalizer-pro-3-0-released

It let you swap objects, as well as copy and paste X, Y, W and H values via keyboard shortcuts.

It was one of the the greatest things to happen to DTP. 

+1 for having something like this built into APublisher. 

• 3 years later...