You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Left click using a Wacom tablet doesn't work the same as a left click with a mouse in Affinity Designer

It seems to me that Affinity Designer doesn't interpret a left click using a stylus the same way as I do with a mouse.

Example:

• When I want to select an object directly behind another, I would hold alt and left click to select it. But with using the same method using a stylus, I end up selecting both objects instead.
  • When I want to convert a node to a Sharp I would hold alt and click on it, but this does not work with a stylus.
  • When I want to add a node on a curve, all I have to do is click to select the curve and then click on where I want to add the node. The same method using a stylus does nothing (I can only drag the curve to change its shape)

I'm used to working in Illustrator where whatever I can do with a mouse, I can do the same using a stylus. So this inability to do certain basic actions in Affinity using a stylus (like adding nodes) is really hampering my workflow. Is this a limitation in Affinity's part, or is there a setting in preferences I have to change in order to make sure actions using the stylus behaves in the same way as using a mouse?

8 hours ago, Lee D said:

In your Wacom Desktop Center, open the tablets properties and the Mapping from Pen to Mouse, this should resolve your issues.

As a workaround this managed to solve the click issue, but unfortunately this is far from ideal as I'd prefer to work with using the pen mapping. It simply means I'm trading one inconvenience for another. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

I hope that future updates will take this into account and allow pen clicks to function the same as mouse clicks without having to change the mapping.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem in Designer on Windows10. Cintiq Pro and Designer performance is pretty poor...almost like it doesn't properly register stylus taps as clicks. My work around has been to "right click" using the other stylus button almost to reset the stylus click in between switching objects. Haven't tested it in Affinity Publisher yet.

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2020 at 6:17 AM, amade said:

This actually worked. Many thanks!

On 6/2/2020 at 4:59 AM, RokoR said:

Try to uncheck Use Windows Ink. 

This worked like a charm! Thank you folks for suggesting/confirming. This problem has been vexing me for quite sometime and you helped me get over it 👌👌👌

• 5 months later...

I am having the reverse issue.  My mouse left click allows to draw on the canvas but I can not left click on any interface items or drop down menus.  This is happening randomly and I have to restart Designer to make it work properly.

Wacom tablet pro, non-screen version.

2 hours ago, Terry44 said:

I am having the reverse issue.  My mouse left click allows to draw on the canvas but I can not left click on any interface items or drop down menus.  This is happening randomly and I have to restart Designer to make it work properly.

Are you having this issue with your mouse or pen tablet? Just a FWIW, here's my Wacom, Intuos 3 PTZ 431W, properties. I can't set AP2 in the properties, but I'm not concerned, it works in V2 just fine.

If it's your mouse, then what mouse are you using, and have you checked the settings for your mouse?

wacomprop.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Terry44 said:

I have a Wacom Intuos Pro and haven't experienced this problem. FWIW here are my Wacom settings. The dreaded Windows Ink has been switched off.

Wacom-Grab.png