You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo is excellent ( the InPainting brush is better than excellent) and I am close to leaving Photoshop CC in November when my contract expires.

One thing I am having trouble with in Affinity is resizing images. For my photo society I need to end up with images 1400 wide and 1050 pixels high, both landscape and portrait format. I have tried time after time to achieve this in Affinity. Clearly I am being slow here but really need help!

In Photoshop current easy procedure is:

Landscape: Image:            Image Size, Check the resample and constrain boxes and reduce image width to 1400 pixels.

Image, Canvas Size, uncheck relative box, select the canvas colour to black, and set the height to 1050 pixels

Portrait Image:                   Image, Image size, Check the resample and constrain proportions boxes and reduce the image height to 1050 pixels

Image, Canvas size, uncheck the Relative box, select the canvas colour to black, and set the width to 1400 pixels

I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with the steps I need to do in Affinity Photo to replicate this end result?                

Bail

Affinity Photo is excellent ( the InPainting brush is better than excellent) and I am close to leaving Photoshop CC in November when my contract expires.

One thing I am having trouble with in Affinity is resizing images. For my photo society I need to end up with images 1400 wide and 1050 pixels high, both landscape and portrait format. I have tried time after time to achieve this in Affinity. Clearly I am being slow here but really need help!

In Photoshop current easy procedure is:

Landscape: Image:            Image Size, Check the resample and constrain boxes and reduce image width to 1400 pixels.

Image, Canvas Size, uncheck relative box, select the canvas colour to black, and set the height to 1050 pixels

Portrait Image:                   Image, Image size, Check the resample and constrain proportions boxes and reduce the image height to 1050 pixels

Image, Canvas size, uncheck the Relative box, select the canvas colour to black, and set the width to 1400 pixels

I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with the steps I need to do in Affinity Photo to replicate this end result?                

Bail

Hi Bail,

Welcome to the forum.

The keyboard shortcuts to achieve the results you are asking about are the same as in Photoshop.

These screen shots show the steps I took, the only difference was that I needed to add a pixel layer under the image & fill that with black:

1. Resize the document.

2. Resize Canvas, then add a pixel layer & fill with black.

This is the exported JPEG result:

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Paul,

Thank you for your help but I am still unable to achieve the results I need. Sorry to be dim  :)

I am happy with adding a pixel layer and filling with black but can't succeed in getting 1400 pixels wide by 1050 high images for both Landscape and Portrait.

Incidentally, I don't use keyboard shortcuts which is why I framed my original request in menu commands from Photoshop. By working backwards from Photoshop menu commands I do see you are of course right that the same keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop open the Resize Document and Resize Canvas dialogue boxes but finding them wasn't my problem.

What I want to know is the precise order of every step needed to achieve what I want. Each step means really which sizes to enter in each dialogue box for both formats of image as well as use of the lock. Please can you try again?

Once again apologies but this is a real showstopper presumably because I am just not appreciating something you take for granted?

Thanks in advance

Bail

For help, I am attaching a Landscape and a Portrait example of what I want

post-15885-0-41539100-1438193401_thumb.jpgpost-15885-0-53697800-1438193578_thumb.jpg

What I want to know is the precise order of every step needed to achieve what I want. Each step means really which sizes to enter in each dialogue box for both formats of image as well as use of the lock. Please can you try again?

The left box in resize document always represents the width you want. The right box is always the height.

When you enter the a size and hit return, if the 'lock' icon is closed, AP will change the the other box automatically.

If you want to enter the size in both boxes, then clicking the lock (showing an open lock icon) will allow you to put whatever size you want in both boxes.

Hope that helps.

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde