You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Assets with embedded documents

In AffPub, I want to be able to create an asset like a frame with an embedded image or other "external" doc.  I don't care (much) about linking the asset to the original external document; embedded behavior would be fine.

I can create assets with text, assets with drawings, but not assets with images.

I made a Picture Frame and placed a small picture in it (a screenshot) and then made an Asset by selecting the picture frame with its picture in it. Quit the program and deleted the screenshot and opened up Publisher and the asset was still there with the picture. Are you wanting to use something more complex than a simple image?

EDIT:

Appears we cannot use embedded documents for Assets. Sigh.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

Let's carefully distinguish between an image being an asset, and a frame containing an image being an asset.

At the moment, the latter is prohibited, and I am requesting it.

Works fine for me on Windows, using the 1.8.4.648 beta.

I made a Picture Frame in a Publisher document that was set to "Prefer Embedded", Placed an image in it, and created an Asset from it via the hamburger menu "Add Asset from Selection". I can then copy that asset into any other Publisher document I want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Interesting.  I get a popup that says "Assets cannot contain embedded documents" when I try using SVG, which is what I have been working with exclusively the last few weeks.  JPG does work.

So if you (or the devs) prefer to refine or rephrase my request along the lines of "Allow assets to include anything that can be dropped into, or pinned into, a frame", that's just fine with me.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, sfriedberg said:

I can create assets with text, assets with drawings, but not assets with images.

What doesn't work for you to create an asset of an image?

Before:
1902429323_assetimage1.jpg.95eb597a7d232f62592b026f5c4d5022.jpg

After:
1613306587_assetimage2.jpg.d44b3b47ac82165dbecd25971524397a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

Interesting.  I get a popup that says "Assets cannot contain embedded documents" when I try using SVG, which is what I have been working with exclusively the last few weeks.  JPG does work.

SVG files are not images; they are documents, as are PDF, PSD, EPS, .afdesign, .afphoto, .afpub, etc. And yes, I get the same popup when using embedded documents.

Only JPG, TIFF, and PNG are images, and this is an area where proper use of terminology is important :)

I'm glad we've figured out the problem. To help others (including the developers), you might edit at least your first post in this topic, and change the title and the explanation of what you're asking for.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I get the same popup when using embedded documents.

Only JPG, TIFF, and PNG are images, and this is an area where proper use of terminology is important

It's hardly possible to be clear with words in so many cases. This a document of the language's doubtful image ;)

1056959094_embeddedvslinked.jpg.5a8006dd76e9fbf5794d237510949f79.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 4:04 AM, walt.farrell said:

SVG files are not images; they are documents

I just took the attached screenshot from the Affinity Publisher help.  SVG is in the images list, not the documents list.

If you want to say that Affinity uses "image" in different ways in different places, I cannot disagree.  If you want to say that SVG files have internal structure beyond a rectangular array of pixels, I have to agree.  However, the latter statement is also true of practically all modern "image" files, and was true even as far back as TIFF.

AffPub-doc-img-list.png

12 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

If you want to say that SVG files have internal structure beyond a rectangular array of pixels, I have to agree.  However, the latter statement is also true of practically all modern "image" files, and was true even as far back as TIFF.

Isn't the difference in terms of Affinity just pixel vs. vector? That would mean EPS and SVG are, like PDF (or PS) and different to the Help list, rather documents than images.
I guess clipping paths saved in tif or jpg aren't vector, though they may get created with bezier tools + may get "converted" to vector if used in a layout app.

• 1 month later...