I think your file is corrupted. Every Affinity native format file (whether .afpub, .afdesign, or .afphoto) I have ever checked begins with the 4 byte unicode sequence 0000 02C7 004B 0041, as do other Affinity file types like .afstyles, .afmacro, & several others.

Yours does not.

Affinity Photo 1.9.3, Affinity Designer 1.9.3, Affinity Publisher 1.9.3;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.92.236 & Affinity Designer 1.9.2 (showing 1.9.9) for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.4 (18D52)

• Moderators

Hi @Chris_Wing,

Welcome to the forums and I'm very sorry to see you're having trouble with this file. As R C-R has mentioned, this file unfortunately appears to be corrupted - I will log the file with our developers and we'll do our best to recover this, however it unfortunately cannot be guaranteed.

Could you please confirm for me:

• Do you recall the last steps you made in the document before you could no longer open it?
  • Have you stored this file in a Cloud/Network location at all? (If so, do you have a backup from before it was uploaded?)
  • Have you encountered this issue previously with any other Affinity files?

Many thanks in advance!

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

Hi @Alexander_Re,

Welcome to the Affinity forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We’re sorry to hear that your Affinity document is no longer opening for you. Please upload the file to us using the below link and we’ll take a further look at the file to see if we can recover any of its contents.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/4fyb90UcmRKo3jXPDG45

We would obviously also like some additional information to see if we can work out the cause of the problem and stop it happening in future. To assist this process, as well as uploading your file, please can you also tell us the following:

1. Which Operating System are you using?
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in?
3. What drive type has the file been saved to? (select more than one if needed)
Local disk
USB disk/Flash disk
Google Drive folder
OneDrive folder
iCloud folder
Dropbox folder
Network location
Other (please specify)

4. Any other information you think would help us try to find the problem?

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file. The investigation process can take some time, but we’ll be back in contact with our findings.

• 1 month later...

This same thing happened to me I recovered a file from the hard drive and when I try to open it, it has a message saying "failed to open file" , "file type not supported." Is there anyway for this file to be recovered?

Hi @Janae

Can you post the file in question - it would give people a chance to see what's wrong.

4 minutes ago, Janae said:

I recovered a file from the hard drive

That sounds a bit ominous!  Why did it need to be "recovered", and how did you recover it?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

It looks like that file is corrupt / incomplete - it doesn't begin or end with the normal Affinity bit sequences.  What's the background to the problem - why did the file need to be recovered and how did you do it?  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10