You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think your file is corrupted. Every Affinity native format file (whether .afpub, .afdesign, or .afphoto) I have ever checked begins with the 4 byte unicode sequence 0000 02C7 004B 0041, as do other Affinity file types like .afstyles, .afmacro, & several others.

Yours does not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @Chris_Wing,

Welcome to the forums and I'm very sorry to see you're having trouble with this file. As R C-R has mentioned, this file unfortunately appears to be corrupted - I will log the file with our developers and we'll do our best to recover this, however it unfortunately cannot be guaranteed.

Could you please confirm for me:

• Do you recall the last steps you made in the document before you could no longer open it?
  • Have you stored this file in a Cloud/Network location at all? (If so, do you have a backup from before it was uploaded?)
  • Have you encountered this issue previously with any other Affinity files?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Alexander_Re,

Welcome to the Affinity forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We’re sorry to hear that your Affinity document is no longer opening for you. Please upload the file to us using the below link and we’ll take a further look at the file to see if we can recover any of its contents.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/4fyb90UcmRKo3jXPDG45

We would obviously also like some additional information to see if we can work out the cause of the problem and stop it happening in future. To assist this process, as well as uploading your file, please can you also tell us the following:

1. Which Operating System are you using?
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in?
3. What drive type has the file been saved to? (select more than one if needed)
Local disk
USB disk/Flash disk
Google Drive folder
OneDrive folder
iCloud folder
Dropbox folder
Network location
Other (please specify)

4. Any other information you think would help us try to find the problem?

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file. The investigation process can take some time, but we’ll be back in contact with our findings.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 1 month later...

This same thing happened to me I recovered a file from the hard drive and when I try to open it, it has a message saying "failed to open file" , "file type not supported." Is there anyway for this file to be recovered?

Hi @Janae

Can you post the file in question - it would give people a chance to see what's wrong.

4 minutes ago, Janae said:

I recovered a file from the hard drive

That sounds a bit ominous!  Why did it need to be "recovered", and how did you recover it?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

It looks like that file is corrupt / incomplete - it doesn't begin or end with the normal Affinity bit sequences.  What's the background to the problem - why did the file need to be recovered and how did you do it?  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 3 months later...

Hello,

The same thing happened to me. 

Everything was going fine up to now. I worked on my file, saved it several times, opened it several times over 2 months and now it won't open up anymore and all my work has disappeared. The file extension has always been .afpub

Why does it work in the beginning and all of a sudden doesn't work anymore because it was never the right file extension? 

How can I recuperate my file because there is a lot of information (over 20 pages) I was hoping to finish it today and now I have to start all over!?

For info, before this happened, I could no longer SAVE the file. The document was open in AFFINITY and I tried to save it under a different name but it just won't work. So I ended up having to close off everything and now I've lost everything. 

Best regards,

Sonia

Life On Fire.afpub

Edited by Sambongo

1 hour ago, Sambongo said:

How can I recuperate my file because there is a lot of information (over 20 pages) I was hoping to finish it today and now I have to start all over!?

Going forward, make a daily copy of your work. If you work on something through the day, make an hourly copy too. Anecdotal evidence suggests there is a problem with the file format used by Affinity. 

The file you uploaded is empty - zero bytes. 

Edited by LondonSquirrel
I hit the save button too quickly. The file is zero bytes.

• Staff

Hi @Sambongo,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums and I'm certainly sorry to hear you're having trouble with this file.

Unfortunately the .afpub file you have uploaded is 0KB, meaning there is no information in this file for the Affinity devs to recover - the document simply hasn't been written to this file, my sincerest apologies.

Do you have any previous versions of the document you can work from? If not, we can check to see if you have any autosave files we can try and recover from, so please do let me know :)

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is old, but this is happening to me now...but with all my .jpg files when I try to 'open' them in Affinity Photo or 'place' them in Affinity Publisher. The files have not changed. I have not worked on them for 5 months but when I did, I had no issues. Both programs are up-to-date with the latest versions.

Is there any help out there?

Edited by Stacie Stacie

• 1 month later...

Hi there, 

Was working in Publisher on a .afpub document saved to my :C Drive when it suddenly wouldn't allow me to save or save it as a new file.

"Save failed as the file type can not be written to" 

I tried to 'save as' a few times, and now have multiple renamed .afpub documents that won't open and have 0 bytes of data associated with them. The original document I was working on now opens but as I had to close it without saving (though ironically before I closed it, it would ask if I was 'sure I wanted to exit without saving' grrrr) I've lost a lot of work.

It happened while I was going back and forth between the personas in publisher and after I had recently merged pages from other .afpub files that I'd been working on separately. 

What caused this so I can prevent it from happening again? Have the devs found a fix?

• Staff

Hi @hje,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

My apologies for the delayed response here and we're certainly sorry to hear you're having trouble saving files in Affinity.

Can you please confirm for me, are you using any cloud based services for your files, or do you have a backup/'sync' function set for any of your folders?

If you create a new document, are you able to save into the same location?

With the file you're seeing the error message on, are you able to save this to a different location (such as your desktop)?

Many thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi @Loof and welcome to the forums,

Which version of Publisher are you using v1.10.6 or a more recent v2.X and on which platform, Windows or macOS?

Are you able to upload your Publisher file so we can take a quick look?

If you'd prefer not to upload your file to the public forum, a private DropBox link can be provided so someone in the Serif moderation team can take a look for you. You can request one by replying to this message.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse