You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Have just purchased Affinity Photo Windows Desktop version & have gone to save a photo as a jpg, png, dng. None of these file formats are provided. It simply defaults to "Affinity files". Can you please advise how to achieve this?

With thanks.

Nick

Welcome to the forums.
To get a different file format you need to Export your document, rather than Save As.
You can Export the whole document via menu “File → Export” or you can Export parts of the document via the Export Persona.
The Help will give you more information on both methods.
P.S. Change your forum name if you don’t want nasty bots getting hold of your email address.

Hi Nick,

You will find that there is very little you can't do with Affinity ... it's just that it has its own way of doing it 😐.  It has a huge user base of very expert people who Serif seem determined to satisfy. Thus, whilst another App might be able to (say) Save As a short list of formats, Affinity has another stack of sub-formats under each format and 'Save As' doesn't cut it. This can leave simpletons like me, who just want to save a PNG somewhat discombobulated!

As a casual user of about 3 years, I am still finding Affinity commands which seem to have been deliberately hidden: such as 'Export' instead of 'Save As'.

It's worth persevering and keep using the forums - but, as Gary says, do change your forum name.

6 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Hi Nick,

You will find that there is very little you can't do with Affinity ... it's just that it has its own way of doing it 😐.  It has a huge user base of very expert people who Serif seem determined to satisfy. Thus, whilst another App might be able to (say) Save As a short list of formats, Affinity has another stack of sub-formats under each format and 'Save As' doesn't cut it. This can leave simpletons like me, who just want to save a PNG somewhat discombobulated!

As a casual user of about 3 years, I am still finding Affinity commands which seem to have been deliberately hidden: such as 'Export' instead of 'Save As'.

It's worth persevering and keep using the forums - but, as Gary says, do change your forum name.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your feedback - name updated - good advice.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:16 PM, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums.
To get a different file format you need to Export your document, rather than Save As.
You can Export the whole document via menu “File → Export” or you can Export parts of the document via the Export Persona.
The Help will give you more information on both methods.
P.S. Change your forum name if you don’t want nasty bots getting hold of your email address.

Hi Garry,

Thank you for your speedy reply and for the advice on name forum - updated - good advice.

You’re welcome.
It’s worth noting that in Photo you also have the Export Persona which you can set-up to create multiple exports – different sizes, different formats, etc. – from the same document with a single click (or Continuously, but I’ve never used that particular functionality).

20 hours ago, Nick X said:

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your feedback - name updated - good advice.

You're welcome, Nick.

Maybe another couple of points worth noting (which means that I have learned the hard way and through the help of the forum) are that:

• 99% of the commands are synchronised across the three Apps. (Publisher, Designer, Photo) - which makes it particularly galling when you hit the 1% which isn't sync'd🤬
  • sometimes there is an industry standard way of doing something, common for decades across all platforms, and Serif decide to create a new one.😠.

Don't tear out too much hair.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:
  • hit the 1% which isn't sync'd🤬
  • sometimes there is an industry standard way of doing something, common for decades across all platforms, and Serif decide to create a new one.😠.

For me Apple themselves sets the standard for the Mac platform. They have decided to also use the Export command, rather than Save As. 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

4 hours ago, RNKLN said:

For me Apple themselves sets the standard for the Mac platform. They have decided to also use the Export command, rather than Save As. 

But in at least one Apple Mac app, both "Export" & "Save as" offer the same options. In Preview.app if you click on the File menu, there is no obvious "Save as" option. But if you press the alt/option key with that menu open, "Duplicate" changes to "Save as..." If you select it, you get the same export format options as you do with File > Export. 😮

Apple's Pages app has a File > Export to... item with a submenu that offers 6 format options, but no matter which one you choose, you get an export window with 6 tabs, one for each of the 6 options, sort of like with Affinity's File > Export's tabs. Apple's keynote & Numbers apps are similar except for the number & kind of export formats.

Some Mac apps, like some ports from other operating systems, could put their export options almost anywhere, including somewhere other than on the File menu.

So while there are 'industry standards' of a sort, there are enough of them that not infrequently an app doesn't use the expected one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Preview works a little bit different probably because it doesn’t have its own native format. And yes, the Apple export function lets you change your mind at the last minute. 😀

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Add an "Export" toolbar button for Pete's sake, Serif.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 hours ago, RNKLN said:

Sorry fellas - as a veteran (got my first microcomputer in mid-1970s) PC user I sometimes (actually quite often these days) forget there is another OS - Bananas?, Pears? ........  Apple!

I get particularly forgetful when the conversation appears to be about Mirrors? ... Windows!

So apologies for my ignorance of the opposition.