You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 on win10 desktop, I set open new with Lab, color panel set to Lab mode and it shows Lab sliders OK.

But when I use color picker tool, it only displays RGB values....when seems like it should show Lab numbers.

Bug? or a setting to change?

If an error, Please update/fix so color sampler matches the color panel.

Set the color tool to show color sliders via the hamburger menu and then choose LAB colors there from the beside popup menu button selection.

sliderlab.png.c71550262d197575e3ac42cb057aa2b5.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

14 minutes ago, Doug.S said:

As I said, I got that part OK,

But the color sampler eye dropper tool loupe over artwork shows RGB color numbers....why not Lab color numbers?

I am not seeing that on Mac OS 10.14.6 with Designer 1.8.3 so maybe it is a Windows thing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For me on OSX it just changes from LAB to RGB when moving the picker loupe then outside of the doc boundaries.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

To me both color pickers (Tool or Panel) pick colors in the color model of my documents color space, regardless in what model the colors were created. Means a picked & assigned CMYK color gets converted to LAB if work in LAB document's space.

I can restrict the shown model in the Colors Panel by activating the lock icon left to its color model menu. But this way the picked colors still get picked & assigned in the documents color space even though they may appear different (according to the locked selection) in the Colors Panel.

439034213_colormodellock.jpg.0ae2bb7780c0539aff8ad371c8b4b98b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, Doug.S said:

Success, the lock icon must be set (depressed) and then eye dropper shows Lab numbers....

Note: Even with active lock (pressed = darker background) for RGB, you can see LAB in the panel picker's tooltip:

480488736_colormodellockvs.panelspicker.jpg.d790dae6db3beebf11f531623fe1fabb.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1