You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi! I’m enjoying Affinity Photo, but have a question about the undo brush (or history brush not sure the official name). When I use it on a pixel layer it appears to work fine at first. But then if I hide the underlying layers (or look at the resulting thumbnail image in the layers panel), it becomes clear that the undo brush has, while performing the undo function, also cloned everything it’s touched from the underlying layers. So areas that were originally clear in the layer on which I was using the brush are now filled in with colors from below, creating a problem for further editing of the image.

Could someone please let me know, is there any way to set the undo brush to leave clear areas on a layer clear, and not fill them in with content from the underlying layers?

Thanks in advance!

Does setting Protect Alpha in the context toolbar for the undo brush help?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Pntrguy: I think the name of the tool has misled you with regard to its functionality. It does not undo the state of the pixels of the selected Pixel object. Instead, it paints from a composite rendering of the entire document as it was at the selected point in history. I guess Historical Composite Clone Brush Tool was too long a name, lol.

Thanks carl123 and anon2! I tried setting Protect Alpha and that doesn't solve it, unfortunately. I think Anon2 explained what the deal is. Thanks very much for that. But it's too bad. Just another case of looking for Photoshop-like functionality that doesn't exist. At least not yet. Maybe a topic for the suggestions forum.

Thanks again for the help!