You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom Intuos Pro tablets Precision mode

Dear Affinity Community.

I have send a feature request to Wacom and would like to encourage you to do the same, in your own words, should you like the idea.

The Wacom tablets (and the ones from your competition) are getting more and more popular amongst photographers and retouchers.

Photographers often have to use image adjustment tools in image editing applications like Affinity Photo which have sliders or curves, which are adjusted by selecting and dragging curve points.

Especially manipulating curves, but also many sliders, often need very subtle adjustments.

Here, the Wacom tablets "Precision Mode" would be very very useful if the outer area would not be reduced in brightness or otherwise altered.

The reason is that the user needs to look at the image whilst doing subtle adjustments in order to visually control what the adjustment does.

This is obviously not possible if the image, which lies mainly outside of the precision area, is muted in colors or brightness.

Increasing the precision area size is obviously counterproductive as it decreases the pen movement precision.
See attached example.

Please see attached illustration.

Therefore my feature request: Please support your photography users with the option to disable the muted brightness outside the precision area, or to configure its strength.

This would be a real benefit for photographers and maybe also a unique selling point.

Thanks and regards

image.png.7966e2300c22b03e46c8d513d60774a0.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 2:47 AM, Wendelin said:

If you are a Wacom user, how and when do you use the precision mode?

I don't use it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, kat said:

How do you get out of precision mode? Escape doesn't work and no idea what happened to turn it on.

There's usually a button set to it on your tablet that you have to press again. You'd have to go into Wacom settings to figure out which it is.

If you know how to get into the Radial Menu, it might be in there as well.

@kat As debraspicher said the key that invoked Precision Mode will be a toggle so if you know where it is; Wacom Pen, Tablet or Onscreen button  just press it again.
If you don’t know or can’t find which it was then disconnect the Tablet and then Logout/In of you User account or Restart the computer.
Then it might be as well to go through the Tablets settings and find where the Precision key has been set, and note it’s location or remove it.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M