You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature: paste behind

18 minutes ago, Loopkin said:

In Designer, we have the "insert behind the selection" button but there is no shortcut...

There is no shortcut by default, but you can make a shortcut if you want, via Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts:

image.png.ade737f04da28b44068121c9e342868a.png

You will still need to press that shortcut, and then Cmd+V (Ctrl+V on Windows).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you assign the shortcut to start with the CTRL key

For example CTRL+F

You can then just use the keystrokes CTRL+F+V to paste behind in one go

(On Windows anyway, not sure if that trick works on a MAC with the Cmd key)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You will still need to press that shortcut, and then Cmd+V (Ctrl+V on Windows).

OK thank's! There a shortcut for "insert behind the selection", but it's not the same thing than paste behind... For now, I first "paste" and then I "Back one", quite the same...

It could be a feature to implement , isn't it?

If someone from the dev team could tell us if it could be on the road map, it would be great!

By the way is there a public road map for 1.9?

11 hours ago, carl123 said:

You can then just use the keystrokes CTRL+F+V to paste behind in one go (On Windows anyway, not sure if that trick works on a MAC with the Cmd key)

I'm afraid that's not possible because a single shortcut can't perform 2 actions (insert behind + paste).

One action is associated to one shortcut...

8 minutes ago, Loopkin said:

I'm afraid that's not possible because a single shortcut can't perform 2 actions (insert behind + paste).

One action is associated to one shortcut...

It works on Windows

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 minutes ago, Loopkin said:

One action is associated to one shortcut

It's two shortcuts. Ctrl+F and Ctrl+V, with only one press of Ctrl. And it's two actions.

At least, on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's two shortcuts. Ctrl+F and Ctrl+V, with only one press of Ctrl. And it's two actions.

At least, on Windows.

Ah OK, you first press cmd+f and then without releasing cmd you press v! That's 2 shortcuts... Thanks it's a good workaround!

In Illustrator, we have a single action for that: "Paste in back".

Do you know if there is a public road map for Designer development?

1 minute ago, Loopkin said:

There is not.

-- Walt
PC:

24 minutes ago, Loopkin said:

OK, how do we know if dev team is taking account or not of suggestions?

They read the Feature Requests. But we do not know which ones they intend to implement, nor when it might happen.

That is quite standard for commercial software products, in my experience.

-- Walt
PC:

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They read the Feature Requests. But we do not know which ones they intend to implement, nor when it might happen.

That is quite standard for commercial software products, in my experience.

OK then switching to Designer needs some trust and faith in dev team...

18 minutes ago, Loopkin said:

OK then switching to Designer needs some trust and faith in dev team...

Yes, but you also need to recognize that new functions may come slowly. It might take years, or you might be pleasantly surprised and it could be implemented sooner.

If the Affinity application has enough features today for you to work with it, then switching may be appropriate. If there is anything that is an absolute deal breaker, then don't switch; keep using your existing software.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, Loopkin said:

Ah OK, you first press cmd+f and then without releasing cmd you press v! That's 2 shortcuts... Thanks it's a good workaround!

In Illustrator, we have a single action for that: "Paste in back".

Illustrator also allows you to select an object and paste behind the selected object.  You can select an object inside a mask, then paste in front of it, or behind it, inside the mask.  You can also paste to same coordinates, or you can copy an object from one location, zoom to another and paste it to that coordinate.  Lots of great copy/past features in Illustrator.  So, as long as you're asking, might as well ask for all of it.

11 minutes ago, Kuttyjoe said:

Illustrator also allows you to select an object and paste behind the selected object.  You can select an object inside a mask, then paste in front of it, or behind it, inside the mask.  You can also paste to same coordinates, or you can copy an object from one location, zoom to another and paste it to that coordinate.  Lots of great copy/past features in Illustrator.  So, as long as you're asking, might as well ask for all of it.

This is what I'm asking and in Illustrator this is called "paste in back".

And yeah by default, in Ai, "paste" will paste at the center of the screen and you can also paste in place like in many softwares...

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If the Affinity application has enough features today for you to work with it, then switching may be appropriate. If there is anything that is an absolute deal breaker, then don't switch; keep using your existing software.

I'm not going to switch, there are too many gaps in Designer.

The question is wether I'll buy it to encourage dev team (as if it was crowdfunding) or not. And the lack of roadmap is quite annoying... this soft exists since 6 years and it may need 6 more years to become professionnaly usable... 😞