You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Publisher: bad if edit Drawing in Layout persona?

• Staff

Hi @VectorCat,

As the Affinity apps share a common file format, there's absolutely no issue with editing your Designer elements in the Publisher Persona - you'll simply have access to less Vector specific tools when outside of the Designer Persona.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you for the confirmation. My concern was that if I edit a drawing in layout persona, that drawing would be seen by Publisher as something created by Publisher, and therefore “less” somehow. 
I recall clearly in the early 90s some talk of interoperability between all types of software...you’d double-click on an image and “suddenly you’d be ‘in’ that environment” - freehand, illustrator, photoshop, then back to quark..

it never materialized as I remember it...until the advent of the affinity suite. Feels good to have the constraints of yesteryear dissolved away. 

I think, if I’m thinking of the same thing that you are, that you might be remembering something called OLE (Object Linking and Embedding). Using this you could paste, for example, an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document, then double-click the spreadsheet to get a sort of ‘mini-Excel’ surrounding the spreadsheet within the document.
I only ever saw this in Microsoft software and I can’t recall using a real-life document that used it (I only played with it a bit).
However, it’s been a long time since I saw it so I could be remembering it wrong.

21 hours ago, VectorCat said:

I recall clearly in the early 90s some talk of interoperability between all types of software...

I cannot remember what it was called but around that time Apple & several other software makers were exploring the idea that since applications basically are just a collection of tools, it would be considerably more efficient if those tools could be used individually, instead of having to run an entire app to access them.

As I understand it, to make that practical would have required developing operating systems that included standardized, application-independent methods of interfacing tools with document objects, plus convincing software developers to make those 'universal' kinds of tools instead of apps. The idea never gained much traction, in large part because the big software developers thought they could make more money selling apps than tools.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7