You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Publisher] Print Export Issue

So I'm having a very specific problem to which I haven't found a solution, I'm hoping someone can help me.

Recently I used Affinity Publisher to export a file through the Print option as it's a booklet, so I used the "Microsoft Print to PDF" setting.

This is the file as it looks on Affinity Publisher

https://prntscr.com/s9a3rz
https://prntscr.com/s9a3rp

It's a vector drawing with no bitmap whatsoever.

Here's how it looks when I export it.
https://prntscr.com/s9a3ry
https://prntscr.com/s9a3rw

Besides the complete mismatch of the colors, there's some sort of JPEG compression present in the PDF. Note that this is the only part of the PDF that has this sort of compression, everything else was also vectorized and presented no signs of compression, it only shared the mismatching colors problem.

So here are the problems:

-There was one spread that displayed the colors as they were supposed to be in this exact same file so that leads me to believe it's not a color problem.

-.exporting with the Export option doesn't cause the mismatching colors, however this vector piece is the only one that gets transformed into bitmap. I've used this image on another file (exported as normal but with different colors) and it was completely unnafected, no bitmap compression, no mismatched colors, nothing. I believe it's also not a vector related problem.

https://prntscr.com/s9a3ca

All of the vector images were made with Affinity Designer and both documents on Publisher and Designer have the exact same Preference settings.

Is there a way to fix this? Please let me know!

Thank you.

(Also, if there's a problem with the links to the images let me know, thanks!)

I was exporting a multi-page document yesterday and something similar happened to a client’s vector logo. However I resolved the issue by unticking the ‘rasterise unsupported…’ option (as well as unticking any other similar options).

On 5/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, EddCh said:

I was exporting a multi-page document yesterday and something similar happened to a client’s vector logo. However I resolved the issue by unticking the ‘rasterise unsupported…’ option (as well as unticking any other similar options).

Hi! I just saw this reply, where would this option be? Thank you!

On 5/1/2020 at 8:40 PM, EddCh said:

However I resolved the issue by unticking the ‘rasterise unsupported…’ option

This means that some effect or gradient or other feature use in the apps doesn't exist in the PDF specification and is discarded before exporting.

Check the PDF carefully, since it'll miss something, that perhaps can be done differently to achieve the same visual result.

1 minute ago, Wosven said:

This means that some effect or gradient or other feature use in the apps doesn't exist in the PDF specification and is discarded before exporting.

Check the PDF carefully, since it'll miss something, that perhaps can be done differently to achieve the same visual result.

It was the client's vector logo that was causing the issue within the Publisher layout. Leaving that setting ticked resulted in a pixelated logo. Unticking the setting resulted in a crisp and clear logo (as it should be) in the final PDF. 

14 minutes ago, oscargotsnail said:

ah, unfortunately i don't use this option, I use the Print option because I need the booklet setting, thank you for the help though!

Ahhhh… I see. Are you outputting the layout to your own printer (as opposed to sending the PDF out to a commercial printer), hence the booklet functionality?

13 hours ago, EddCh said:

Ahhhh… I see. Are you outputting the layout to your own printer (as opposed to sending the PDF out to a commercial printer), hence the booklet functionality?

I'm using the "Microsoft Print to PDF" option, which I mentioned in the original post, and it's under the "Print" option.

I don't have these issues if I use the "Export" option, only the pixelization which is pretty minor compared to the result I get with the "Print" option.

• Staff

Hi oscargotsnail,

Would you be able to attach or upload the document to our Dropbox here and i can double check a few things.  I think the Microsoft Print To PDF option is generating a 1.7 version PDF, so if you have something in the document that isn't support by the 1.7 spec that could cause this... It's also possible its an issue with Print to PDF option, which we won't have a lot of control over.

19 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi oscargotsnail,

Would you be able to attach or upload the document to our Dropbox here and i can double check a few things.  I think the Microsoft Print To PDF option is generating a 1.7 version PDF, so if you have something in the document that isn't support by the 1.7 spec that could cause this... It's also possible its an issue with Print to PDF option, which we won't have a lot of control over.

Thank you for the help! I've uploaded the file into your Dropbox.

I'm an uni student currently doing work for a Graphic Design class and I had to turn in my work like this, though I explained the situation to my teacher and on his end the Affinity file looks and exports fine. I'm worried this could happen in future works, however since it's not for a client I'm a lot more flexible with solutions. Hope you can find what's causing this so I can let him know!